addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The 912 Project-Nebraska Message Board › i wonder if anything will come of this.

i wonder if anything will come of this.

scott
user 9035919
Fremont, NE
Post #: 117
Here is a copy of a letter that i sent today via email to Mr. Fortenberry, Mr. Johanns, and Mr. Nelson. It will be interesting to hear their response, and whether anything will actually come of it. And yes, folks, I DO have the fortitude to actually follow through, if it comes to that. Anyway, the letter:

Gentlemen,
I would like to start off with saying that I am not a "politically correct" person. But, I'm sure that you have gleaned that from previous contacts. I am passionate about what I believe. I have spoken with members of your staff at various times, and have found them to be very courteous and very helpful, and for the most part quite well informed about the issues and problems that plague our nation. I thank you for your service, and for doing what I am certain is the best you possibly can in view of what is happening in the world these days. Anyway, on to why I have requested the opportunity to speak with you:
As you well know, many Nebraskans are vehemently opposed to many of the actions of this Congress and this administration. I have a couple of suggestions that might help to reign in some of the out of control spending and out of control legislation that is coming from liberals in BOTH houses of Congress and from the White House. These may also help calm the public a little bit. These will likely be viewed as hostile stall tactics by some members. So be it. Let the repercussions of my suggestion fall where they will. This being said, in light of the recent steps taken and passed by the progressive extremists, I feel that all public servants elected to office, including the President, the Vice President, all members of Congress, and yes, even the some in the Judiciate should be reminded of something.
Therefore, I suggest this: Would you, as our representatives, be willing to please do the following... On the floor of your respective houses, in its full text, and with FULL membership present, please read 3 items:

1) The Declaration of Independence,
2) The CONSTITUTION of the united States of America, and
3) The Oath of Office that each person has taken.

If sufficient time is not allotted to any one person, perhaps a coalition of other like-minded persons could be recruited to pick up right where the prior person left off, if the leadership demands that the reader step down because time has expired or they are said to be out of order or whatever other reason they attempt.
I would be willing to read these on the floor myself, if there is a way that can be found to get me there, as I cannot afford the trip. With your assistance, and that of a few select others, I would be very much willing and honored to give a speech or lecture concerning these documents and the usurpation of federal authority as and I am sure many other Americans see it. I would ask that you help me to draft this into an indisputable narrative, and that I be allowed to present it with fear of prosecution or personal ramifications of any kind. (Some of it may held to be "violent and disturbing" by some members. TOO BAD!) Gentlemen, I, too, took a similar oath of office when I enlisted in the military in the 1980s. I view that oath as a lifetime commitment, not just something for the years I was on active duty. Gentlemen, we are loyal to the REPUBLIC, not to this Senator or that Representative, or not to this party or that party, just because they are in power or not, and certainly not to the INDIVIDUAL who occupies the Oval Office at any particular time.

I don’t see a way that these actions could be held to be “out of order”, as these documents are the very reason that our houses of Congress exist. These were among the first and are the most important pieces of legislation ever ratified in our history. Make it be known that many citizens (not just Nebraskans) feel that much of the legislation of the 111th Congress (and several Congresses prior) is unconstitutional. You’ve seen this yourself in the nearly spontaneous grassroots rallies and efforts to slow down this fiasco. There gatherings and demonstrations are not “astro-turf” as some in the leadership have said. Please do not mince words. We cannot afford to be “politically correct”. We must speak the truth, and drag all of these bad things into the harsh light of public scrutiny, whether it steps on toes or hurts feelings, or makes some Congress persons uncomfortable. Let us use the law of this land and the rules of Congress to peacefully take back responsible control of an out of control government. If this means that we demand complete Constitutional review of EVERY piece of legislation that comes out of congress and forbid said legislation to become effective pending this review, so be it. If this means we shut down the entire government in the meantime (except that which is vital to the absolutely necessary defense of our nation and its international business) so be it. While I agree that this would be very bad for our republic, I feel that not taking similarly extreme measures and allowing the current trend toward absolute government control would be far worse.) I realize that this has not been attempted before, but, I truly feel that our republic has never before been in such danger of being lost. In effect, let us erect a mountain to stop this runaway train.

Another suggestion: When massive legislation such as this so called health care bill or any other major bill is advanced for vote, or any major amendment, (especially those 11th hour several hundred page amendments we saw with the House bill), perhaps we should demand that complete national coverage be given on every media venue. Perhaps on the final vote of this bill, as it is so massive and so sweeping, and held by many to be so tyrannical in its content, it should be read on national television, and not just on CSPAN. Perhaps there is some clause in FCC rules that would allow the initiation of the Emergency Broadcast System or an equal coverage requirement could be created, so that we could FORCE the reading of the bill in its entirety to everyone in the country on television and radio. While it is quite possible that this will anger many people in the country, it would have the more effective benefit of showing those who would take control of the people of our nation that Americans will not tolerate it at all. If this course of action is taken, be prepared to receive a massive influx of calls, emails, and then, DEMAND a 5 business day delay in the final vote to confer with constituents, and get their input. Perhaps we could get Governor Heinemann to declare a “state day of defense” or a Saturday/Sunday series of events, in that all businesses and offices close so that you could hold meetings, or man your offices, or whatever, to let the people be heard. (Here is also an opportunity for you to create actual jobs in Nebraska, legitimate ones, even if they are temporary, by having to add to your staff to cover calls, emails, and correspondence, or even just getting people who are just volunteers, or working at minimum wage.)
I would like to quote one of our most honored founders, Mr. Ben Franklin. When asked by a passerby following the ratification of the Constitution in 1789, Mr. Franklin was asked, “Sir, What have you given us?” Mr. Franklin’s reply: “A Republic, if you can keep it.”

scott
user 9035919
Fremont, NE
Post #: 118
(continued)

Gentlemen, we must take drastic action because many of us feel that our very national identity and our liberty is stake. We believe that the government does not have the authority to require citizens to purchase a specific product. We maintain that the government should not be allowed to make the decisions that deny people the very right to exist (unless they prove they do not deserve it, but that is an argument for another time.) I know that each of you agree that abortion cannot be tolerated. I know that each of you believe that if we must go to war, even if we do not want to, we go to win absolute victory. Nothing less is acceptable. I know that each of you knows what is truly at stake for our future We are fighting for the futures of our children, our grandchildren, our great-grandchildren. Gentlemen, we are fighting for our very souls, and the soul of this great nation. Do not let it become a has-been America. Let us not waver in our resolve.

I would like to add one little note concerning judicial review -- it is my opinion, in these days of “intent and compassion” , as had been said in some circles, that the clause in many pieces of legislation that says that if any part of a piece of legislation be found to be unconstitutional shall not affect that rest of the bill is in itself unconstitutional. I Feel that this clause or anything similar should be forever removed completely from all legislation, and is discordance with the strictest Constitutional review be found, then the entire bill is rejected.

These are a few of my thoughts. Thank you for your attention. Please, feel free to contact me for further discussion. I would very much like to work with you to slow down this fiasco, and maybe put some sanity back into our government. I have included my home telephone number if you desire, but, I am rather hard to reach there, mostly only after 8 p.m. CST.

Respectfully,

Scott Hillen
North Bend, NE
A former member
Post #: 215
Scott,

I don't want to discourage you but I have asked Nelson, Johanns and Lee Terry VERY specific questions regarding "the health care bill" and all I've ever received back is their standard response letter. Not one, and I have received many response letters, not one has addressed or answered my SPECIFIC concerns.

Good luck...

Sue
scott
user 9035919
Fremont, NE
Post #: 119
actually, Sue, I have received correspondence from Mr. Fortenberry and Mr. Johanns on specific concerns. Some of them have been rather unique, but, they have at least generated personal response.

(Example... I once suggested restructuring NASA into an agency similar to the USDA and FDA to oversee the private space enterprise, creating many private sector tech jobs, reducing the spending required by the government, and putting America back at the forefront of technological and space enterprises. Johanns actually said this idea has merit, but, would be hard to implement at this time.)

Granted, this one may be or is as extreme, and may fall on deaf ears, but, we should at least give them the chance to stand up for the Constitution, should we not? All I ever hear from Nelson is the standard "thank you your input is important to me" platitude... I don't expect anything from him. I will, however, keep folks posted as much as I can. Hope for the best, expect the least. We cannot lose hope, because if we lose hope, we lose heart, if we lose heart, we lose motivation. If we lose motivation, we lose our will. And, if we lose our will, we lose the nation. We have to think unlike we ever have before. The way I see it, Congress is ramming bad legislation and exorbitant taxes down our throats. We, in turn, should regurgitate them back, and then force the only pieces of legislation that matter down theirs... the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution. If they choke on it, oh well. At least, that is my politically incorrect view of things, and which is why I volunteered in the letter to read it myself. I already have some of the speech written, and believe me, to those who do not support and defend the Constitution, it is scathing. In addition to the reading of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, it'll probably run about 40 minutes. And, I'd be surprised if i leave there without a pre-arranged ride in public transportation to the nearest "re-education facility". This is the sacrifice I am willing to make. We'll see what happens.
A former member
Post #: 138
Constitutionally Sound is what we need