Well, we are certainly having plenty of opportunities for the gaming community with official Monday, Wednesday and Thursday night gaming. I know there are a few other groups out there too. And now it is time to get ramped up for Birmingham Game Days 3. Birmingham is really starting to find it feet with conventions with our current longest running event being PlayOn Con, there is also the new Phoenix Festival and a couple of Sukoshi-Cons. Remember though, that BGD is the area's only gaming specific event.
Here is the outline for BGD 3 based on participation and feedback from previous events.
BGD Days: we will go Friday noon to sometime after midnight Saturday.
- if there is sufficient interest and volunteers we may be able to go all night Friday
- last year Sunday was moderately attended and didn't really cover the cost of the space for the 3rd day.
BGD Date: October 26-27
BGD Location: Helena Sports Complex
- this is a really clean, modern facility with lots of space.
- we will have a full sized gym and one large adjoining room.
- very excited about this spot - we could grow in this location to accommodate at least 300+ gamers
= The BIG BGD 3 Question =
I am very seriously considering using Kickstarter for the primary registration and event development site. I very much want to get everyones feedback on this since the convention is really for all of you and your friends and family. So, why go this route? Here are my thoughts and a first draft of what the support levels could be.
1. Because of the reward system that is kinda of built in to KS I hope to encourage as much early registration as possible.
2. I want to feel confident going in to the weekend that the cost of the venue has been covered. In fact using KS allows us to have a stretch goal for adding Sunday or more space if the funds are available.
3. KS provides a great way to provide additional rewards for supporters and sponsors
4. Challenge - setting the KS project goal a the right spot, if set too low we could succeed, get the funds but be uncertain there will be enough walk-up registration to cover the venue. If I set it too high the project might not reach the funding goal and then no money has come in and the perception may be that there is not enough interest. The trend with BGD events has been that no more than 30% of attendees have pre-registered.
After doing quite a bit of research on successful KS projects, this seemed like a good list to start the discussion with all of you. Got better ideas for rewards? Better pledge levels? I am working with some folks for some really cool stretch goals too.
1. 45 day Kickstarter campaign. The plan is to get to 30% of the funding goal in the first 10 days or so (90% of projects that get to 30% funding go on to be successful).
Funding / Pledge option (draft)
a. $5 – the “ I sure hope this happens but not sure I will be able to attend pledge”. You will receive access to all project updates and a PDF for the GI original print-n-play solitaire game of “<TBD>”.
b. $10 – All the above and a signed 5x7 photo of Dodger Collingwood, Gamealogical Institute game explorer, in Action.
c. $25 – the “This will be fun” Registration only pledge. The special Kickstarter only early-early registration rate for BGD 2012.
d. $35 – the “I really want to see this event happen” pledge. All of the above; project updates, the signed photo, the PDF game, early-early registration AND you get to proudly display your registration on the special Kickstarter only Lanyard. Let all know that you made sure the convention was held.
e. $75 – the “I am totally committed to this event” pledge. (Limit to 10) All of the above AND you get to attend the catered BGD Founders Dinner and Game night party 1 week after the event to contribute to and plan with the Event organizers for BGD 2013.
f. $60 – The “Have I got a deal for you” Vendor only pledge (5 slots). Good for one 8’x 8’ spot at the 3rd Annual Birmingham Game Days. Includes a table and 2 chairs, 1 registration, and the signed Photo. Remember, this event is just before the holidays and a great time to be Santa’s helper or provide a selection of family pastimes to pursue while the turkey is cooking.
g. $20 – The “You’re my kinda demographic” advertising pledge (limit 20). Why have your information lost in abandoned paper programs? Get your Logo on the Event Website.
h. $50 – The “You’re really my kinda demographic” advertising pledge. Get your logo on the Event website AND let your banner be proudly displayed all event long. Don’t have one? Add $XX to your pledge and we’ll have a 3’ tall 6’ wide banner made for you!