addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Birmingham Board Games Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion › Alabama Phoenix Festival Memorial Day Weekend

Alabama Phoenix Festival Memorial Day Weekend

William B.
user 9205187
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 163
Alabama Phoenix Festival (APF)

Friday - Sunday May 24 -26

Cahaba Grand Conference Center (CGCC)
3660 Grandview Parkway (280 Area South of I-459) (Inverness Area)

I went to this last year. The following information is how it was last year:
Most acitivities are at the CGCC. However, all gaming will be at the Birmingham Hilton. Registration will be at the CGCC. The Birmingham Hilton is about a mile and a half or 2 from the CGCC, however, there is no way to get back and forth from the 2 venues without usnig US-280. US-280 is generally a very busy highway, especially on the weekends. However, once you have registered, you would only go to the CGCC, if you are wanting to do some of the other activities. There is a small retail center within walking distance of the Birmingham Hilton, whcih contains several restaraunts. In addition to these restaurants, the Birmingham Hilton has a restaurant, which is a bar, which had a reasonable priced dinner buffet last year.

The following is copied from the APF website:

The Alabama Phoenix Festival is a family-friendly, multi-genre, fan convention featuring celebrity guests, authors, comic book writers and artists, vendors, and much more. We have activities for people of all ages and welcome you to come join us in the fun. The 2013 event will be held on Friday, May 24 through Sunday, May 26, 2013.

Game On,

William B.
user 9205187
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 178
Just a reminder,

Pre-POC6 is this Saturday. Gaming from 10 am Saturday - 9 am Sunday.
See scheduled meetup on the home page.

Alabama Phoenix Festival is next weekend. See post above.

Hope that you will consider going to one or both of these events,

Game On,

Birmingham, AL
Post #: 30
Sad to miss APF this weekend, but will be travelling. I'm sure I'll get some gaming in somewhere :)

Thanks for posting all the info here, William.
user 51526952
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 1
Would there be potential attendees interested in calling a scheduled meetup? I won't be able to attend but I imagine that a bunch of our lurkers will.
William B.
user 9205187
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 180
I tried to suggest this as a meetup back on May 4th,

But, I was not able to. Meetup said that I didn't have the authority to suggest a meetup, so, that is why I started a thread on this. I think this should have been suggested as a meetup over 2 months ago. I think it is too late to do that now.

Game On,

William B.
user 9205187
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 182
Alabama Phoenix Festival
Friday - Sunday May 24 - 26

Games Activity:

This Second Alabama Phoenix Festival was much better attended than last year.
Hopefully, this will continue to grow.

Shaunon Drake and Misty from Atlanta, ran the Games Library, which consisted of Shaunon's 186 games and a few others contributed about 70 others for a total Games Library of about 256 games. There were a few duplicate games, but not many.

Attendance per day: About 15-20 Board Gamers (This does not include other genres of gamers)
There were 4 from the Birmingham Boardgames Group and
3 from the Tuscaloosa Boardgames Group. (1 is in both groups)

There were others from the Birmingham Boardgames Group not in the above figure, that were doing other activities. Mike and Mary Ann ran Pathfinder the whole Con. This was the busiest and most heavily attended part of the gaming area.

I didn't see any Miniatures Games played. There were several RPGs and Munchkin Games. There were 3 Men In Black (MIB) as the Steve Jackson Representatives are called. Most of the time, there were 2 MIBs. There were at least 10 Munchkin games every day.

My primary focus is on Board Games and Card Games, other than Munchkin, which follows:

These are primarly the games that were played, while I was attending, so, I know that there were some games that are not included in this list. The Boardgaming Activity was heaviest on Saturday, Friday was the second heaviest and Sunday was the lightest.

Total Games Played throughout Convention: 55 Games

Ascension: 1
Avalon: 6

Battlestar Galactica: 3 Games:
Basic 1
+ Pegasus + Cylon Deployment Board 2
(I was only in 1 BSG Game, which was won by the Cylons. No, I was not a Cylon.
The Humans won 1. I don't know the result of the other one.)

Broadsides: Boarding Parties: 1
Cards Against Humanity: 1
Cash n' Guns: 2
Castle Panic: 1
Castle Ravenloft: 1
Colossal Clash: 1
Confusion: 1
Dominion : Basic + Hinterlands + Intrigue + Seaside: 2
Flash Point: 1
Flux: 1
Iluminati: 1
Jaipur: 2