The Love Drums: A Community Rhythm Drum Circle Message Board › Drumming links...

Drumming links...

Ty
tubebedubayou
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 493
This is the place to post any links that you guys think would be valuable for drummers.

African Drumming - UK
This is a list of the African rhythms we've been going over. It also includes sound files so you can both read the rhythms and listen to them.

West Afrikaan Rhythm Notations
This is another set of rhythms that I'd like to see us learn; however, it doesn't include a sound file, so it requires a knowledge of drumming notation.
Ty
tubebedubayou
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 537
Found another good link...

Drum Circles.net

Has plenty of rhythms on there, and has a 101 rhythm CD for $17. I'm thinking I may purchase it, because we need a way to bring audio rhythms to drum circles, and laptops can be unreliable.
Ty
tubebedubayou
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 538
I know that a lot of members are hitting up Guitar Center (or Guitar Hero) to get their drums; however, if you're willing to wait a little longer to receive your drum, you can choose from a larger selection that is usually cheaper and bigger than the drums GC can offer you. You can also verify that the drum was crafted by Africans in a more fair-trade style, and that it's made from legally-harvested (non-endangered) wood.

A couple of good sites:

X8 Drums
This site has a pretty good selection, but what amazes me is that it has both videos and sound clips demonstrating each drum specifically.

Djembe Direct
Their drums are mostly legally-harvested heartwood, and are made in Africa, with a return of money to the makers. They have a larger selection (probably the largest I have ever seen); not only that, but they more than just djembes... they have sabars, ashikos, dununs, didgeridoos, balafons, etc. They also include sound clips of the drum you wish to purchase.