DFW Theology & Apologetics Meetup Message Board › Todd's Creative Designer Question

Todd's Creative Designer Question

A former member
Post #: 63
After months of being invited to join the DFW Mid-Cities Theology Meetup, I finally decided to give it a shot last week. Wow! Now I understand how members don't return home till the sun rises the following morning! Heated debates sure can make the time fly.
What I would like to do in this post is to continue the debate from the last meeting. It was 2:00 in the morning and I had to get home. The discussion was the existence or nonexistence of a creative designer. Now keep in mind that ALL religious concepts of a god are avoided in this discussion. In other words saying "God exists because it says in the bible that he does" is irrelevant. Those involved in the debate know what I'm talking about as I'm sure all others will understand a bit better once this topic gets rolling.
So Todd, since we left off on your last question about world wide worship among all cultures (and I still have difficulty understanding why you wouldn't accept my answer as an answer) I would like for you to post your question here. Once posted I will give the same two answers I gave at the last meetup then go from there.
Let the games begin!
A former member
Post #: 25
Well, your answer was not in reference to Todd's question. Your answer was in reference as to why you think people created their own gods and Todd asked you to explain the coincidence of how all these people in the world believe in a creative designer. That is why he said you did not answer the question. How can you justify the coincidence of all the people believing in some form of higher power? Does that work better? cool P
A former member
Post #: 65
Wow Todd what have you done with your hair? You got a lot cuter also my man. Wait, that's not Todd. It's Peggy!
I know you were there and I know you want to provide your input but in order to keep this a smooth flowing discussion lets wait till Todd posts his question. I will then post the original answers at which time everyone else can jump on the wagon.
Deal?
A former member
Post #: 10
No, I'm not Todd, I?m going to respond anyway. In the Jan 4 discussion I realized that those involved in the discussion were arguing for the existence of what they perceive as a ?god?. This, under the delusion that there is some universal concept of ?god?. Western civilization has consistently taken concepts they can?t understand or don?t care to, and indiscriminately chucked them into a box labeled ?god?.

If, in fact, someone could effectively argue the existence of a supreme being ? ?god?, then most certainly this ?god? would not be YHVH or the elohim (often translated as god or gods) of the Hebrew scripture.

The Ancient Hebrew Research Center is a good place to go to learn how ancient Hebrews perceived the world.

www.ancient-hebrew.org
http://www.ancient-he...­

Shalom
Steve
Jim B.
user 4260314
Arlington, TX
Post #: 12
I know this thread is from quite a whike ago, but it sounds very interesting. Anyone remember what the original topic was, or is anyone interested in discussing the existence of God in general?
A former member
Post #: 158
The intent of the discussion was to debate the existence or nonexistence of a creative designer. Simple as that. Is there a supreme begin that created the universe and all that is in it or do things exist today without any plan just because they do?
Jim B.
user 4260314
Arlington, TX
Post #: 13
I'd say that the evidence is pretty darn strong that there was, and is, an intelligent design, and thus a designer. There's a very interesting book I read years ago titled "The Mind of God" by Paul Davies. Davies is a physicist and former atheist as I recall, but I'm not certain on that point, who set out to investigate this very topic from a physicist's perspective. I believe he came away a believer when he came to realize all of the extremely fine tuned parameters that had to be calibrated just the way they were at the moment of the singularity for molecules to form, etc,. In other words, if hundreds of various physical variables had not been set precisely as they were at the moment of the Big Bang, we would not be here, nor would anything else. There would be nothing but a formless quantum soup.

With design, you're dealing with probability, albeit a very high probability. Many scientists and others dispute claims such as Davies'. All in all, design may not be as persuasive an argument for God as others, like the moral argument, etc.,. And also some prominent religions, such as Taoism, Confucianism, most forms of Buddhism, lack the concept of a creator/designer God.....So it's not a universal concept.