addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 125
[
Simply put in realistic terms, there was no actual third night.

We both totally agree with that. Thanks for putting it so succinctly. The problem is that Jesus said three nights. Simply put, the bible contains a mistake.

The bible contains a mistake?! surely you jest. The bible contains many mistakes, contradictions, inconsistencies and myths. But in the case where Jesus states in Mathew 12:40 "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the son of man be three day's and three nights in the heart of the earth", I believe this not to be a mistake.
Two parts so bear with me and I'll make this short and simple.
Part 1: Again and for the LAST time; To the first century Jews, any part of a day could be counted as if it were a full day, just as a child born on December 31 at 11:59 p.m. is deductible fut the full year. "Three days and three nights" may simply refer to three 24 hour days (sunset to sunset periods), and Jesus was in fact in the tomb during part of three different days and nights.
Part 2: It it difficult for us in this day and age of time reckoning to fully comprehend the way time was measured 2,000 years ago. So I drew a little picture just for you to demonstrate. Click under files where I have added a diagram to demonstrate the above titled "How Long was Jesus in the Tomb."
Part 3: I know I only said there were two parts, but listening to as much as I could stand of the Iowa Caucus, I came up with another. Jesus, like a politician of today, needed to use words and phrases that made him sound important and could hold the peoples attention. Using the old Jonah reference as it it was to have applied to his future situation sounded powerful and at the time, quite cool.
A former member
Post #: 66
Again and for the LAST time

Yeah, that "last time" part is probably a good idea.

To the first century Jews, any part of a day could be counted as if it were a full day
Let's say for the sake of argument I grant this. Let's say I EVEN grant that "any" part of a day can count for twenty-four hours. Now....

"Three days and three nights" may simply refer to three 24 hour days (sunset to sunset periods), and Jesus was in fact in the tomb during part of three different days and nights.
Here is where you just stretch it too far. We "might" allow that "three days" could stand for three twenty-four hour periods as you say. Jesus is stretching it too far to say "days and nights". But like you say, "....and for the last time."