**** Volunteers Needed ! Give back to the group by hosting your own smaller events (dinners, happy hours, brunches, lunches. etc). Join our Event Host program. ****
==> NEW MEMBERS or 1st TIME EVENT GO-ERS, if you have questions about the group, RSVPs, or the overall dining event process, visit our FAQs and our No-Show Policy.
==> RSVP Cancellation Cutoff for this Event is 10 am Sunday, 1/13. (Late Cancel applies after this)
This was a popular event the last time we did this, so let's try it again. ;)
Finding really good 'traditional' Indian within a short distance to DC proper can be a little challenging (on a very short list Passage to India come to mind, and Rasika although great isn't traditional).
Hidden in upper NW DC is my favorite place for quality Indian which the kitchen understands how to 'properly' use spices for flavor-complexity and texture, and not simply an exercise to see how hot your tongue can get.
Since most folks aren't that familiar with Indian cuisine, I've come up with a great price-fixed deal highlighting some of the restaurant's best dishes. We're going for a special Sunday dinner sampling a bunch of dishes @ neighborhood restaurant Masala Art in Tenleytown.
- Rated Editors Pick by the Washington Post
- Rated 2011 'Top 100 Very Best' & Cheap Eats by the Washingtonian
FOOD: Primarily traditional Indian with select modern influences, emphasis on Northern dishes but definitely dabbles in Southern & Kashmir as well. A critic labelled the menu "unorthodox", I tend to agree. But the food regardless of region, nuanced & tasty!
This is 8-Dish Fixed-Priced Family-Style Tasting dinner for $36. [Tax/Tip included, CASH preferred].
--> Drinks, wine/beer, and any extras items are additional and still factors our 30% tax/tip.
VEGETARIANS: Please update your RSVP comment if you're attending and want a Veggie menu:
- There's no a la carte option (this is a negotiated fixed-priced dinner regardless)
- Alternate dishes will be made for the non-veggie choices at the same $36 meal price.
- I'll email those that note a veggie menu is needed.
By attending the event, each member agrees to the $36 minimum & defined menu. NO EXCEPTIONS.
** PLEASE COME EARLY / ON-TIME FOR THIS EVENT. Due to Family-Style, late-comers may miss out on items. So come early and plan your travel accordingly **
- Sarson Wali Gobhi (florets of tandoori cauliflower enveloped in rich coating of spices flavored with mustard seeds)
- Chicken 65 (small pieces of fried and tossed chicken with South Indian masala -- a play on Indian street food)
- Nukti Kabab on Khastha Roti (small pieces of boneless baby lamb served on small crisp Indian bread)
- Lassoni Corn Palak (creamy spinach with corn tempered with garlic)
- Aloo Ke Gutke (potatoes with curry leaves and mustard seeds)
- Dal Panchrattan (a well-seasoned mix of five different lentils)
- Lamb Neelgiri Korma (Lamb cooked in a rich mint and cilantro gravy)
- Tawa Murgh Khatta Pyaaz (marinated chicken cubes with masala gravy, royal cumin and pickled onion)
Raita Dip: included with our meal
BREAD?: We'll have a mix offered, 2 at a time. Likely selections include Rock Salt & Cilantro Naan, Garlic Naan with Crushed Black Pepper, Mint Parantha, etc.
1/2 OFF BOTTLED WINE SPECIAL! (GREAT DEAL): For the price, there's some nice white & red options.
Many of the restaurant's wine selections are normally in the low to mid 30s, so 50% off equals to about 2 glasses of normally priced wine elsewhere).
But, there's a pretty good bar here too. When's the last time you saw a Cosmo for less than $10 lol? Martinis here are quite good too.
SPACE: Very modest & unassuming from the street. Comfortable in the inside, it's a neighborhood restaurant. Checkout the "interesting" bathroom arrangement while we're here
==> Tax/Tip combo is our required 30% tax/tip policy ( see the FAQs for more details)
==> Limited to 26 slots
See you there!
CLOSEST METRO: Tenleytown (Red Line). An easy 100 ft. walk from the Metro entrance [exit from the East / Northbound of Wisconsin Ave, same side as the Whole Foods].
For directions using the Metro, try using the Trip Planner at the WMATA website.
PARKING: On Sundays, super easy. Free parking directly on Wisconsin Ave [Southbound side ONLY] ACROSS the street from the restaurant. [i.e. same side as Best Buy].
Also there's paid parking at the very nearby Whole Foods [same side of street @ restaurant]
Need to Contact the Restaurant? [i.e. confirm location, notify to the group if running late, etc.]. Text on your phone to 466453 (GOOGLE) and type the restaurant name + the city/state in the message body. Google Business Services will text you back with the address and phone #!
1. Limited to 26 slots.
2. If you RSVP "YES" please make sure you can definitely make it. With 3,500+ members and limited seating, we cannot afford no-shows. It's unfair to the other members who would like to attend and also to the organizers who have to explain to the restaurant why the reserved # of guests didn't show (can damage our reputation). No-Show rules apply.
3. Event already full?, waitlist for the event!. Use the Waitlist option (the Organizer for each event will enable this as needed). Also, check back regularly as attendees have been known to cancel up to Noon the day of the event.
4. Billing (add 30% tax/tip to your bill). Remember, include the required 30% for tip / tax in addition to the food / beverages you order as defined in our FAQs.
5. NEW MEMBERS or 1st TIME EVENT GO-ERS, if you have questions about the group, RSVPs, or the overall dining event process, visit our FAQs and our No-Show Policy.