At this meetup we will discuss the American justice system. Topics to be discussed can include:
- The three most cited goals of our penal system are public safety (i.e. removing dangerous people from society), deterrence, and retribution. The first two most would agree are important and necessary goals. But is there a place for the notion of "justice" or "retribution"? Or does that just reduce to revenge?
- Capital punishment
- When is rehabilitation a reasonable goal?
- alternatives to prison
- Can we significantly reduce violent crime without addressing economic inequality?
- Why does the U.S. have the highest incarceration rate in the world?
- White collar and corporate crime.
- "victimless" crimes, such as drugs and prostitution.
- Treating people involved in terrorist acts as "enemy combatants" to circumvent the justice system. When, if ever, is this justified?