Cool River tubing company - We had such a wonderful time as a group doing the same twice last year, and many of you have been asking me when is the next one. Well here we are; hot days and cool river tubing will be fun.
What : Drift down the lazy and shallow river in an open or closed bottom tube. We will picnic, socialize, & chill at the end. They also have showers and restrooms.
You don't have to tube to join. You can sit by the river and enjoy all the happy faces.
We can also use a volunteer to take pictures when the group gets to finish.
Group rate - Individual 1 trip Long or short is $5.50(with fee); however group of 10 or more is $4.45 (inclusive of tax and Paypal fee). Last year we had close to 100 attend.
What to wear? - Shorts and T-shirts or swimsuit, securely fitting shoes; Flip Flops or sandals are not recommended as you might have to get up and walk the shallow and slippery rock bottom.
What to bring? - Towel x2, change of clothes, sun screen, hat, shades (something you won't miss in case you loose them in water), food/drinks, cooler (for picnic after), and whatever else you need for day on the water.
What not to bring? - Jewelry, watches, things you will miss if you dropped, damaged, or lost in water; your call. No glass bottles, plastic water bottles are ok.
What happens if it rains? - Tubing is rain or shine unless it is thundering and lightning. In that we wait it out as they go on till late.
1st time Tubing? – No problem, I’ve been there many times over the years so I’ll try my best to answer frequently asked questions:
· First off the river in Helen is mostly shallow with only a few spots you can’t stand up. So shallow, that on times you will need to get up and move tube off rocks and into moving water . A 5’ stick comes in handy to push off rocks. Cool River sells nice wood or Plastic sticks for $5-10 (souvenir) but you can bring your own.
· Cool River will provide you a life jacket, open or close bottom tube, and ties (if you need).
· After we pay, we will get our hands stamped; get a tube of your choice (close or open bottom); board their bus which will drop us up-river along with tubes.
· You can leave your keys at the desk when checking in.
They do have ties you can borrow (generally for kids) to tie the tubes up, but not necessary.
· Majority of the slow moving river (depending on the water level) is shaded by trees on the bank. Along the way we’ll pass vacation homes, a haunted house, bridges, water slide, restaurants with live music, a tree of lost soles(shoes found), and a couple of small rapids with one decent one right after we pass the main Helen bridge; which is lot of fun; however if you rather walk it, I’ll point out where, if you are close to me. When you hear live music, stick around and see if we can get the group together again, as everyone will be all over the place.
· We end the journey same place we started.
· If we have some members waiting on shore, they can take the group’s pictures. I’ll have my water proof camera with me too. If you don’t want your picture taken, turn around or we’ll do our best to frame you out.
· River time is about 2 to 3 hours, depending on recent rains.
· Once back, they do have few showers and changing rooms as well as many picnic tables.
Potluck - Please bring a dish, snack, or your specialty food to share with the group. I’m bringing some snacks (chips, Humus, cookies, granola bars, nuts etc) for all. They do have charcoal grills if you need to cook or warm something.
Music – Last year our member John brought his DJ like speaker, which was wonderful entertainment during picnic. If you have something like that where you can plug in an iPhone or other MP3 player, please indicate in your RSVP.
If you still have questions, email me and I’ll be happy to respond personally or in Comments section.
Carpool - Please post if you can take others with you; how many and which location. Primary location is Cumberland Mall/Costco parking at 8.45am and we’ll leave there at 9.00am sharp. Second location is ‘Park n Ride’ on Mansell rd exit#8 off Hwy-400 at 9.25am, and leave at 9.35am sharp.
Addresses for Carpool1 –8.45am - “ 2900 Cumberland Mall, Atlanta, GA ”. Parking to the right of Costco gas station near bridge.
Addresses for Carpool2 - 9.25am – “ 1701 Mansell Road, Roswell, GA ”. Near the 2nd lamp post from entrance.
Pictures from our last year trip