Hiking Hikers Hiking Group Message Board › Mid-Day Weekend Hikes Anyone?

Mid-Day Weekend Hikes Anyone?

Amy
user 62485172
Ajo, AZ
Post #: 1
Is anyone else interested in doing mid-day weekend hikes (starting anytime between 11 am - 3 pm)? It seems as though nearly all of the weekend hikes for this group (and other hiking groups in the Phoenix area) are super early… which blows for people like me who have trouble sleeping and need weekend mornings to catch up on zzzzz's.
A former member
Post #: 9
You are not alone! My wife and I love our afternoon hikes, so give us a holler if you want. We do awesome stuff! For example, today we did an amazing tortilla creek/canyon hike full of giant boulder climbing, and ended it with a nice sunset drive.
A former member
Right now I am available for exactly that - mid-day/mid-week. I like to really try to make it worth the drive so some good mileage or challenge is great for me :) ... (I live wayyy out east in San Tan Valley) so if anyone else lives out here, let's connect to do some Superstition hikes. Thanks :)
Amy
user 62485172
Ajo, AZ
Post #: 2
Mike and Katharina – Please let me know your availability! I am new to the area (just moved to AZ from CT) so pretty much ANY area I that hike seems amazing. For the next 2.5 weeks, the only opportunities that I have to hike are on the weekends; and even after that (until I'm able to adjust my work schedule), there isn't much daylight by the time I get out of work and drive to any of the hiking areas (I'm in Buckeye and it seems that most of the hiking areas are in the East Valley… errr!).

Katharina – the Superstitions are a bit further but have come HIGHLY recommended, and I would love to go hiking there.
A former member
Post #: 2
I am all for some mid-day weekend hikes.
A former member
Post #: 10
Wow, buckeye? That's kinda out there. You have the White Tank Park in your area at least. My wife and I go to the Superstitions almost every weekend and usually hike in the afternoon (or at start late morning) because she's always exhausted from being a busy doctor and wants to sleep in. Tell you what, our next destination is called First Water Creek. It's a fun and scenic canyon in the Supes, and we'll be starting off of hwy 88 close to Canyon Lake. We'll probably just wander through for about 2 1/2 hours and then head back out. I'll see if I can get it posted as an event on this site, and the invite goes for anyone, but you need to be in pretty good shape and be able to keep a reasonable pace for about 4 to 5 hours. Nothing truly difficult about it, just wandering through a canyon, but there's at least one tricky climbing spot if there's still a pool of water there. I might also try climbing out of the canyon some and make things interesting, just depends.
Sara
user 2886500
Scottsdale, AZ
I would like to be a part of these mid day hikes as well! please keep me posted. i just moved here too and want to hike more but the early morning hikes are not always the best for me either. thanks!!
Sara
A former member
Post #: 11
I'm trying to get a meetup posted for next Sunday for First Water Creek, so you guys interested in weekend afternoon hikes keep your eyes open if you want. This is a continuous thing for us, and we're looking for others to join on hikes.
David D.
user 62806712
Glendale, AZ
Post #: 4
Hey, me too. Every weekend I like to sleep in an hour more tnan my work week. I believe to have a great work out one should get a full 8 hours sleep. Fully rested I head out to Prescott / Sedona / Payson. Hike one of the amazing trails then get lunch and coffee in town. Its only 1.5 hrs away. Im always home by dinner. So, I'm up to getting out of the heat. I wont hike a trail if its over 83 degrees. David
A former member
That would be awesome. Count me in.