Hiking Hikers Hiking Group Message Board › "Skull-Faced" Spider

"Skull-Faced" Spider

P-kitty
P-kitty
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 116
I've added a few new photos to the What's that Snake, Bug, Reptile?! album. Check them out!

"Skull-Faced" Spider

Possibly a Green Lynx Spider (Peucetia viridans) sitting upon an egg sac.
A former member
Post #: 11
Sabino Canyon is the one I saw on West Oak Fork on Sunday. It went too fast, we couldn't take a picture. Is this kind poisonous?
P-kitty
P-kitty
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 117
No, the Green Lynx Spider is NOT venomous, nor poisonous to humans. However, a bite from any insect may irritate the skin, and if you've an allergy, may cause swelling or discoloration.

That's why I recommend that you have a friend poke it with a stick while you stand back and take the picture! (Kidding, obviously!)
Jeff
user 6525096
Peoria, AZ
Post #: 1
I would strongly suggest that if you see a damn spider that looks like that you squash it under your foot!!!
P-kitty
P-kitty
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 118
It's OKAY, Jeff! That spider was overall about the size of the tip of my little finger. Nothing like the arachnids of terrifying proportions in the movie Eight-Legged Freaks. A favorite, by the way.
Luis (the R.
the_rebel
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 39
You can tell with spiders the same as snakes...............lick it and see if it tastes salty. If it tastes salty, it is poisonous. Then stay away from those.
Jim W.
user 7032406
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 6
Luis, I wish I had that advice earlier in life!!!
A former member
Post #: 655
Wow, cool looking spider Phelecia!

And, Luis, when I'm licking a snake (or spider) to check for saltiness and it attaches itself to my tongue, do I then panic? tongue

Jim W.
user 7032406
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 11
I'm just glad those spiders are small!!!
Dan The Hikin' M.
TheDunadan
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 1
Why, oh why, would anyone want to squash such a tiny, beautiful, delicate creature????? And Phelecia, I can never thank you enough for all the stunning close-up photos you post on the 3H site!!!
-- Dan