addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Tiny House Asheville Message Board › Is there a minimum size where you dont need an inspection?

Is there a minimum size where you dont need an inspection?

This message board is read-only.

Dustin R.
user 93994172
Asheville, NC
Post #: 1
So I've bought my property. I've got a well and septic in place. I have a little money to start building but doing everything to code is slowing me down. What is the deal with yurts and inspection? Is the a size that if I stay under I will not need an inspection? I just want a place to lay my head and be able to live but estimates just to get me dried in are about 20k for a 320sf A-frame, then I still have to finish it. Any advice?
Susan
user 96842202
Brevard, NC
Post #: 2
Check with yr. county building dept. Believe they all follow state code on required space for each person ...

So, the tiny home on wheels - many counties have no codes (Transylvania) relevant. Seems things on wheels get counted as road vehicles/rv's.

Interstate regs seem to be 9 feet wide or less, 13.6 feet tall or less OR it has to be moved by a commercial driver (CDL license?). Length does not seem to be a real issue ...

sigh up for tiny house swoon - see google .....

Come to meetings for real clarification, best! Susan
Azoraa T.
azoraa
Asheville, NC
Post #: 183
doing everything to code is slowing me down. What is the deal with yurts and inspection?
Well isn't this always the case with trying to do anything? My advice would be that unless you have contracted or consented with a person-entity to observe their code, ignore it and proceed with constructing and planting whatever privacy barriers that you can to prevent some nosy nancy from constantly watching over and controlling you.

David F.
Funsten
Asheville, NC
Post #: 1
Size limits for structures considered significant usually dictate when they come under jurisdiction for inspections. For example: Earthhaven built some tiny houses with dimensions under 12' in any direction. These had outside dimensions just under 12' wide x 12' deep x 12' high. Just enough space for living and cooking on the main, and a loft with low clearance for sleeping. Assorted available materials were used, some of which would not normally meet inspection. But no inspections were required for that size so non code materials were not a problem.

Earthhaven is outside of Buncombe County, and I don't know whether this limit would apply around Asheville. Also, these houses were built a while back: it's possible the codes have changed and these structures were grandfathered. It might be worth looking into. www.earthhaven.org
I do know that "accessory structures" under 12' are assessed as improvements to properties in Buncombe Co. You will pay property taxes on them but it could be that construction oversight and inspections don't apply due to small size.

In Asheville the maximum time you can live in a "camper" (rolling residence) on a property is 6 months in a year. I assume this means you have to move it twice yearly to a different property.

Personally, I'd determine the actual lines of authority and comply with the applicable rules when they apply.
A former member
Post #: 5
Also check this out http://www.thetinylif...­
Hope this helps.
Dustin R.
user 93994172
Asheville, NC
Post #: 2
Thanks everyone!!! This gets really overwhelming when you try to save money by eliminating a contractor. I really need to come to some meeting and find some like minded people and network. Thanks a bunch!!!