Come Join Us At Doors Open Toronto 2012!
135 buildings of architectural, historic, cultural and/or social significance open their doors to the public.
Admission is FREE.
This year's theme is 200 Years of Building the Urban City
In commemoration of the War of 1812 bicentennial, this year's Doors Open Toronto theme is 200 Years of Building the Urban City. More than 135 architecturally, historically, culturally and socially significant buildings will highlight their city builders; the fascinating personalities who shaped Toronto's architecture and history.Visit buildings of architectural and/or historic significance, many which are not normally open to the public.
The 2012 building roster can now be found here:
The official site of the 2012 Doors open is http://www.toronto.ca/doorsopen/
We will be meeting on the steps in front of the Old City Hall building at Queen and Bay Streets On Sunday May 27th, 2012, at 12pm
The buildings we plan to see (in order of proximity from our meeting place at Old City Hall) are as follows:
1. Old City Hall
Old City Hall is designed in the Romanesque Revival style. Lennox's design created one of the most magnificent buildings on the North American continent at the time.
UPDATE: As Angelo has pointed out below in the comments, picture taking may not be allowed at Old City Hall inside. As a result, although we will meet there on the steps outside, we may decide to proceed to Osgoode Hall straightaway. Of course if there are those who do wish to go into Old City Hall without taking photos, that is perfectly fine as well.
2. Osgoode Hall
130 Queen St W
Osgoode Hall opened in 1832 and remains a Toronto landmark and a hub of legal life in Ontario. A fence (1867), renowned for its gates, surrounds the property and its beautiful grounds. Highlights include: the Atrium with its geometric tile floor; 19th century courtrooms; the Great Library; the East Wing, the oldest part of the building; and Convocation Hall, better known as the Osgoode Hall Restaurant.
3. Campbell House Museum
160 Queen St W
Campbell House is an outstanding example of Georgian architecture from Toronto's earliest days. Built in 1822 for Sir William Campbell, the sixth Chief Justice of Upper Canada, and his wife Hannah, the home originally overlooked the harbour from high ground at Frederick and Adelaide streets. Threatened with demolition in 1972, the house was saved by The Advocates' Society, who moved the 300-ton structure to its current site and restored the building, returning the interior spaces to their former elegance. Campbell House operates as a museum, art gallery, theatre, and special events venue.
4. Canada Life
330 University Ave
Canada Life's majestic building was designed to symbolize the company's stability. At 17 stories and 276 feet, it was the tallest building on University Ave when completed on March 16, 1931. The weather beacon was added in 1951. Described as neo-classical or Beaux Arts style, the lobby is impressive with many interesting features.
5. John St. Roundhouse - Steam Whistle Brewing
255 Bremner Blvd
The CPR John Street Roundhouse, stunning home of Steam Whistle Brewing, is located steps from the CN Tower. Built in 1929, The Roundhouse originally serviced over 50 locomotives a day from Union Station. At its centre, a rotating turntable moved trains into bays for repair. The Roundhouse was the first to use a new clean air and energy conservation system, called "the direct steaming system", which improved train maintenance, fuel consumption and working conditions. Over the decades passenger rail service declined and the facility closed in 1988. In 1999, Steam Whistle Brewing breathed new life into the building, renovating with an eye to preserve the original post and beam construction. The brewery opened its doors to the public as part of Doors Open Toronto 2000. Inside are the Brewery's manufacturing facilities as well as a retail store/gallery and events venue. The building’s exterior walls are almost entirely made up of multi-paned windows, filling the vaulted 30 ft. interior with natural light. The original Douglas Fir posts support the sloped cedar roof. Throughout The Roundhouse, catwalks and exposed brick retain the feel of the building's original use.