addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Toronto Ruby Brigade Message Board › The Beginner

The Beginner

Lee H.
user 14058624
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
I'm a programmer. Did I just say I'm a 'programmer'? But I am! Sure, I don't have a formal CS education. Instead, I spent my school time learning Biology and Forensic Science. If someone breaks into your house and helps themselves to one of your beers, I'm the guy who tests the saliva on your Steam Whistle and looks for a DNA hit. But for the last several years, I've also been developing application in VB.net, which in someway or another help make our DNA lab work better. Then a few years ago I went on a blind date with OOP, and it's safe to say that we get along very VERY well (I love you OOP!!!). It was then that I decided to really get serious about programming. Since I didn't have a scripting language under my belt, and was interested in web applications, I started researching and decided to give RoR a try. I've set up a web application using scaffolding, and now I'm reading all the online material I can get my hands on to help with my development. But I must say, It hasn't all 'clicked' yet. I keep reading about people who just "get-it" and how the syntax matches how they 'think'. So I was wondering if there is anyone out there in Ruby land who might be interested in being my mentor? I realize that this is sort of the point of the Ruby Brigade, but from the size of the meetings (40) and the number of members (160ish), I'm starting to think that it might be difficult to get in. Besides, think of all the benefits of being my mentor! I'm easy to get a long with, I tell really funny jokes, I like to buy coffee for others, I smell nice, and my mom thinks I'm really cool.
Lee H.
user 14058624
Toronto, ON
Post #: 2
Hmmm..no takers eh? Probably coming on too strong (Hey, nice to meet you, my name is Lee, do you think we'll get married? Want to have kids? What are your general thoughts on abortion and/or capital punishment? Hey, where are you going?).

Perhaps this is a better question: You have a book club, but I don't see a list of previously read books. Would it be possible to make this list available to all members? Also, can anyone recommend any good books for RoR beginners?

Thanks in advance!
A former member
Post #: 1
The book club just finished its first book and is starting on a second one, so I think it'll be a little bit before stuff's organized.

As for book recommendations, I'd say first start with Michael Hartl's Rails Tutorial, which you can get in a book form or a free online version. After that, there's the canonical Agile Web Development with Rails. However, I'll go tiny bit astray and suggest you start with Ruby books first before diving into Rails. The reason being is understanding the language in which Rails is written will probably do you a lot more good and you'll not regard large parts of Rails as magic if you understand a bit of Ruby.

As for the whole mentoring thing, don't feel too bad. A lot of us experienced members are super busy due to the insane demand right now. Mentoring takes a lot of time, especially if you want to do it right and time is an extremely limited resource right now. On the other hand, I could be full of shit, so feel free to bring it up at the next meeting. :)

Srdjan
Lee H.
user 14058624
Toronto, ON
Post #: 3
Thanks Srdjan! Very helpful.

I'll have a look at Hartl's Rails Tutorial and go from there. Also, I agree that a good understanding of Ruby should be step one before diving into Rails.

Just in case there are any other beginners reading this, I found the following guides and tutorials to be an excellent launching pad.

Great intro to Ruby: Why`s Poignant Guide
Amazing intro to Rails: Rails for Zombies
Also a good resource: Ruby on Rails Guides

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Lee