addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Toronto Ruby Brigade Message Board › Return of the book club: SICP, next Wednesday, April 13?

Return of the book club: SICP, next Wednesday, April 13?

Sean M.
user 9631053
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
There's been talk of doing SICP (Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs) as a book club book, and James noted the beginnings of an effort to revise the book's code from Scheme into Clojure (http://sicpinclojure....­.

What does anyone think about reconvening the book club next Wednesday to start talking about SICP?

Cheers,
Sean.
James H.
james_herdman
Toronto, ON
Post #: 4
I'm in! I just started SICP recently, and am trying to level up my Clojure skills (i.e. get some).
A former member
That would be very cool.

My copy of SICP has been collecting too much dust.
Ben M.
user 13101127
Toronto, ON
great idea. i'm interested.
Sean M.
user 9631053
Toronto, ON
Post #: 2
Hurrah! Chapter 1 is 78 pages, so shall we say we'll talk about chapter 1 next Wednesday?

Other resources:
- http://sicpinclojure....­ has the full text which will eventually also be annotated
- https://github.com/de...­ is another Clojur-ification of the code

If the nulayer location is convenient for everyone, James, could you ask if we could meet there?

See people Wednesday!
James H.
james_herdman
Toronto, ON
Post #: 5
Hey Sean. I can't run the meet up here yet. I'm not exactly able to lock the doors after we leave as I'm still on my 3 month probation. Perhaps we could meet at a bar, a café, or something?
Ben M.
user 13101127
Toronto, ON
Post #: 2
i'll ask my boss about having it at our office, it's around the corner from nulayer. is it just going to be the 4 of us?
Kevin F.
kfaustino
Group Organizer
Toronto, ON
Post #: 3
If you guys want, you announce it as an event on Meetup for next week with James running all the details on here. You would get a couple more people who are interested joining in on the discussion.
Sean M.
user 9631053
Toronto, ON
Post #: 3
Good point Kevin, we'll organize better for next week, and ask James to announce an official Meetup. (I have a conflict on Wednesday the 20th, so I'd prefer to do chapter 2 on Tuesday the 19th, if we keep going.)

Ben, if you could see if we can have them at Indusblue, that would be great -- I'd be happy to host out here near High Park, but with two of the four confirmed attendees starting from near Atlantic, staying in the area makes more sense. Thanks, and let us know!
Ben M.
user 13101127
Toronto, ON
Post #: 4
we're good to meet here on wednesday this week for chapter 1, we can have up to 6 people. does 6:30 work for everyone?