Toronto Ruby Brigade Message Board › Looking for developers

Looking for developers

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi everyone, over at iStopover we're looking for a couple new developers to join our team. We're a small group working in a hot space and we need some extra hands to help us keep up with the work. I apologize for the spammy/job listing type post but I can't think of a better group to reach out to then all of you. If you or anyone you know can help us out (contract or fulltime) please let me know. Here's the job description:

iStopOver.com is looking for a developer to join a small team and help take it to the next level. Because we're a small team we need people who can think on their own and aren't afraid to ask questions or suggest ideas. Someone who can take an idea for a task and run with it - using their brain to figure out how best to implement the feature and then using their skills to get it done. We're big believers in iterative development at iStopOver - when we get an idea we'll quickly get it up and live and see what happens then change accordingly so if you're looking for long planning sessions and details requirements then we're not the shop for you but if you want to see your work turned around quickly and get the feedback from real users then we should talk.

Here's what we're looking for:

• Ruby/Rails: iStopOver.com is running Ruby on Rails so experience with Ruby is a big win. That said, if you're a smart developer who can pick up new technology quickly then maybe you can fit.
  • Website experience: We need people who've built real websites and understand the issues (if I have to explain memcache to you then you're not right for us).
  • JQuery and JS/HTML/CSS in general. We aren't the kind of company where you work on one little bit and then hand it off - nope, you're going to do it all and that means you'll have to be able to do some front end work as well (we have a designer but still - you're going to get your hands into the front end, no doubt about it).
  • MySQL. Because you'll be helping with everything you'll need to be able to jump into the databases and look things up, design new schemas optimize queries and so on.
  • API design - have you built web based APIs before? That's a definite plus, let us know what you've done and how it worked for you

The right attitude is important to us - we want people who:

• Love creating products - you can't sleep because you've thought of a better way to solve a problem or a cool new feature that we just have to sneak in
  • Wants to be part of the next big thing - Our space is exploding and we're riding the wave. We want people who really care about the market they're working in and are going to argue about why a feature is going to make a difference or be a waste of time.
  • Get excited when the company gets a good press mention, when we top a milestone, when a user tells us how much they liked our product
  • Understands what being in a startup means - we'll change our minds every couple days, we'll argue over the colour of a button, we're well funded but your not going to get a team of 100 to plot every step - you know what you need so go ahead and do it. "Make it happen" should be your mantra
  • Doesn't need babysitting. I don't have time to explain a request 3 times over or look over your shoulder every morning.

So what do you get if you come to iStopOver? Well a good salary and benefits of course and stock to go with it. A great location (Spadina and Adelaide) with easy access to great food and transit. A serious chance to learn every part of the company and the industry. The opportunity to work on the whole product stack using a variety of tools (i.e. learn new things) and most of all the ability to be heard.

The vacation rental space is the hottest space on the net right now with valuations in the billion dollar range not being uncommon. We're well suited to take advantage of the hype and need your help to get us there.

Still interested? Checkout www.istopover.com and send me a note here or sean at istopover

Thanks everyone, have a great week
Sean