addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Small Dogs Austin Message Board › Is My Dog Too Big?

Is My Dog Too Big?

user 3033426
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 46
I'm receiving a few emails about this so I'd like to start a discussion. Here are my initial thoughts. Please reply to this discussion so we can get a view of what the groups feels.

Thank you for being considerate of the group.

These are always people who will be concerned about a larger dog regardless of the dog's behavior. My opinion is more about how the dog acts. For example, some people say "he's friendly". That may be true, but a larger dog must understand that they cannot bat a smaller dog with paws or many other very acceptable behaviors for a similar sized dog. For example, most puppies don't have enough restraint to realize the other dog isn't enjoying their playfulness.

On the flip side, my 5lb Mardi has had plenty of larger friends. He was playing with a Great Dane the other week.

So I guess my answer would be to use your judgment. Maybe you could come by and keep your dog on a leash until you know for sure? It's a delicate balance between safety and allowing a variety of dogs.

Hope that was helpful.

A former member
Post #: 3
Several of my friends have larger (15 - 25lb) dogs who Simon likes indoors, but when it comes to running around outside they are just too big for him. So I would hope this could be a group of smaller dogs so they are free to run and play.
Cedar Park, TX
Post #: 51
I would agree that we should keep the meetups limited to 20 lbs. or under? My 4.8lb chi loves her 40 lb. blue heeler sister but they can't play the same as with another chi or small dog.

Hope no one is offended by this!
Austin, TX
Post #: 65
I personally don't have a problem with larger dogs, whether they are 20lbs or 80lbs. I think you run into problems when dogs sense tension coming from the humans or expectations of doom and that's what can cause dogs to get hurt. Cooper rarely plays with dogs his own size; most of my friends have border collies and labs, and Coop's grown up with them so he can hold his own with a big dog just fine. But he's also a chunky monkey and a larger chihuahua altogether, so I don't have to worry about a 3-4 lb dog getting bulldozed by a larger dog.
A former member
Post #: 65
tongue i respect that others may have an issue with the large dog.. sometimes little dogs have the Napoleon attitude too.. I think it depends on the dog and the owner. I have a giant dog pointer- heeler.. wouldn't hurt a fly.. I also have 5 cats and my chi mix. We live very happy all together! The cats are always stealing my big dog's bed and he lets them!
I will try and come to the event this time! wink I will leave my big boy home! But.. I would like to meet up someday with the chi & heeler mom for both our kids to play smile jorie
Cindy S.
user 3433902
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Thanks for making this a topic. Sofia - loves all dogs and creatures but I'd agree it is fun for her to just romp around with the lil ones her size without worrying about getting stepped on and I have no problem leaving my great Dane Satin at home, she has her Great Dane meet-ups too.

However, if someone wants to meet-up that has a big and a small, let me know - my girls love to go out together too.

I was thinking more like 15 lbs and under for the smalls.
A former member
Post #: 2
Yikes, when I first joined this meetup, my dog weighed 8 lbs. but she was still growing and is now about 18 lbs. I haven't been able to make it to a meetup yet because my schedule always seems to conflict with the meetup times but I think I can actually make it to this weekend's meetup. I had thought before I read this that "small" meant 25 lbs. or smaller - I guess I didn't realize that most of the dogs were around 5 lbs. My dog has had some problems with larger dogs but she does fine with dogs smaller than her. I always keep her on a leash when she first meets other dogs and I know I should just use my own judgment but I want to hear what everyone else thinks.
A former member
Post #: 33
Im a boston terrier owner and these dogs can range from 10 pounds to 30 pounds.I have one that weighs 32 pounds, one that weighs 20 pounds, and one that weighs 15 pounds. When I take them to the dog park they are always bomarded by larger dogs so I joined this meet up hoing to be able to have a safer place for them to play with other dogs around there size, I didn't realize that most of the dogs here are teeny tiny, so thats why I haven't attended any meet ups yet.
A former member
Post #: 7
Hi! I have a cocker spaniel puppy who is 14 lbs. She is very sweet! Is she too big? I would love to come to the next meetup! My friends dog is around 35-45lbs and lacy won't play with her. Everytime the big dogs try to play with her she rolls over on her back in a submissive position. So I think she would play great with small dogs or dogs her size.
Brian A.
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
I would think 20-25lbs and under because you can have a small fat dog that weighs over 20 pounds. My ShihTzu ways 17lbs and he is definately considered a small dog.