**This is not a hike/walk in the remote countryside. Rather, this is one of our more ‘civilised’ walks, as we’re mostly following the tarmac footpath in the Windsor Great Park.
We’ll begin in Virginia Waters, where in this town in 1897, nothing happened. So we’ll just march straight onto the back entrance of the Windsor Great Park. We’ll pass by: Virginia Waters lake (named after Elizabeth I in 1746), Leptis Magna (Roman ruins), Five arch Bridge (built in 1833 by Wyatville, a favoured Royal architect), and Valley Gardens.
After lunch [see 8 below], we’ll continue to head north towards Windsor Castle. We’ll go pass cow ponds (there are no cows there) and enter into the deer park (O deer, yes, there're deer there). From there, we’d be able to get a nice view of the Windsor Castle, and we’ll just head towards Windsor town centre via the long castle path.
For the avoidance of doubt, we're just passing by, but not entering, the castle.
1. Meeting time: 09:15am. – We are getting the 09:39 am train to Virginia Waters.
Please arrive on time - We're getting through the ticket barriers at 09:30am with/without you.
2. Travel costs & organiser fees: £13 (To be broken down as £8 discounted group of four train ticket + £5 organiser fee & paypal charges).
(Yes, I’m getting all the train tickets this time because there are too many tourists at the Waterloo station, so queuing time could unreasonably go up to 30 mins.)
3. Refund - Full refund is available if:
3a.) You notify me (by email, text, and/or by leaving a comment on the webpage) that you’re not coming by no later than 8:30am on Sunday 21 April 2013 (i.e. on the day). This is because that is the latest time when I have to buy tickets on your behalf;
3b.) The event is cancelled; or
3c.) The event is rescheduled.
. Distance: About 12 miles (estimated 4.5 hours of walking time, exclusive of lunchtime.)
4. Meet up point: Outside Platform 19 of Waterloo Station. It is hidden away next to Platform 18 and one of the two underground station entrance.
5. How to identify me: It's easy - I am Chinese-looking and I am the one who is holding the Banana Hiking sign. Don't worry - Chinese people don't look all the same. But, if in doubt, call me.
6. My mobile number is[masked] 312.
7. Difficulty: (2/10). It’s all completely flat. Terrain is tarmac and grass. If you are concerned about your ability, please contact the organiser for further information.
8. Lunch*: Weather permitting, we’ll be having picnic in the park. If circumstances change (e.g. let's say, it rains), then we’ll eat indoor at the Savills Garden café.
9. Need to bring: water, waterproof clothing, gloves & hat (if necessary), walking boots (see  below), your own packed lunch*, camera and money for pub afterwards.
10. Toilet: 3
11. Estimated time of arrival (EAT): London: about 8pm - depending on which train you fancy taking.
12. After the walk, it is open to you whether or not you wish to join the group for a pint and/or food at a local pub. Whether you decide to join us or not, it is advised that you travel back to London in group(s) of 4 to avoid possible penalties by the train company.
13. Map: Yes, I've pre-walked 99% of the route. However, I’ll bring OS Explorer map 160 just to show you where we’re are going.
14. Weather: I will post the latest weather forecast 2 days before the walk, and will update it every day at 11pm. For the avoidance of doubt, the walk will not be cancelled if it rains. The idea is that you live in London: If you don't go out when it rains, you'd end up sitting at home and be on your computer all day.
15. London Tube engineering work: Please check TFL website for further details.
16.You are always advised to wear adequate footwear for the walk. This means no high heels, and yes I am serious. If you wish to buy a new pair of walking shoes, the group has now secured a 10% group discount at Cotswold Outdoor [http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/].
Our group discount code is: “AF-BFHL-J4” under our group name “Banana Hiking - Fruitful Hiking London”.
17. Don't worry if you are coming alone. This is Meetup. 99% of the people come alone, and it is all about making new friends anyway :))).
If anyone have any questions, please feel do not hesitate to drop me an email at [masked]
I will response within 24 hours.
3 APRIL 2013