*This walk takes place on a Sunday (14 July 2013).
We’ll begin in Dover. We’ll hike up a path that takes us pass Dover Castle and the [crash]-landing site of the first plane flown across the English Channel, until the White Cliffs of Dover emerges before us. There, you’ll have a stunning view of the English Channel. On a clear day, we’ll also be able to see France. By about lunch time, we’ll stop near the South Foreland Lighthouse/ St. Margaret’s Bay for some refreshment. (see para 9 below).
After lunch, we’ll continue walking at the top of the white cliffs until it ends. Then, we’ll descend down to the Walmer & Deal beach – where Julius Caesar landed in Britain in 55BC. Continuing to head towards Deal, we’ll pass by two additional artillery fortress - Walmer Castle and Deal Castle. Like Dover Castle, they are built to, for among other purposes, counter the threat of invasion from Catholic France and Spain. And, finally, we’ll finish off at a pub next to the Deal Priory.
For the avoidance of doubt, we’re just passing by, but not entering, all the castles.
1. Meeting time: 09:45. We are getting the 10:10 am Platform 12 high-speed train to Dover Priory.
Please arrive on time - We're getting through the ticket barriers at 10am with/without you.
2. Travel costs & organiser fees: £24.75(To be broken down as follows: £18.75 discounted group of 4 tickets, London to Deal (Return) +£5 organiser fee + £1 paypal charges)
(Yes, I’m getting all the train tickets this time, because (a) there are too many tourists at St. Pancas International, so queuing time could sometimes be unreasonable, and (b) you can stay in bed for just a little bit longer, and every little helps.)
3. Refund -Full refund is available if:
3a.)You notify me (by email, text, and/or by leaving a comment on the webpage) that you’re not coming by no later than 9am on the day. This is because that is the latest time when I have to buy tickets on your behalf; or
3b.)The event is cancelled or rescheduled.
4. Distance: About 12 miles (estimated 5 hours of walking time, exclusive of lunchtime.)
5. Meet up point: Outside Starbucks (Street level) opposite to the large time departure board. It is marked 26a on the station map.
6. How to identify me: It's easy - I am Chinese-looking and I am the one who is holding the Banana Hiking sign. Don't worry - Chinese people don't look all the same. But, if in doubt, call me.
7. My mobile numberis[masked] 312.
8. Difficulty: (5/10). Most of the route is completely flat. There are, however, ascents of about 100 meters (spread over 10 mins each). The terrain is mainly grass, tarmac or rocks (on the beach). If you are concerned about your ability, please contact the organiser for further information.
9. Lunch*: We'll be having picnic.
However, if circumstances change (e.g. let's say it rains or is forecasted to rain), we'll then eat indoor – either at a local café or pub.
10. Need to bring: water (a must! It's going to be v hot!), waterproof clothing, sunglasses & hat (if necessary), walking boots (see  below), camera and money for pub afterwards.
11. Loo: 3
12. Estimated time of arrival (EAT): London: about 9pm. It is estimated that we'll finish be arriving at Deal at or before 6pm. Please consider yourself committed for the day.
13. After the walk, it is open to you whether or not you wish to join the group for a pint and/or food at a local pub. Whether you decide to join us or not, it is advised that you travel back to London in group(s) of 4 to avoid possible penalties by the train company.
14. Map: Yes, I've pre-walked the route. However, I’ll bring OS Explorer map 138 just to show you where we’re are going.
15. Weather: Dry and sunny until 3pm, followed by possible light rain shower.
16. London Tube engineering work: Please check TFL website for engineering work on northern line and overground.
17.You are always advised to wear adequate footwear for the walk. This means no high heels, and yes I am serious. If you wish to buy a new pair of walking shoes, the group has now secured a 10% group discount at Cotswold Outdoor [http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/].
Our group discount code is: “AF-BFHL-J4” under our group name “Banana Hiking - Fruitful Hiking London”.
Provided that it does not rain on the day, trainers will be sufficed. However, walking/hiking boots are preferred.
18. Don't worry if you are coming alone. This is Meetup. 99% of the people come alone, and it is all about making new friends anyway :))).
If anyone have any questions, please feel do not hesitate to drop me an email at [masked]
I will response within 24 hours.