Bodiam Castle, Orchard & Meadows walk - on Sunday 18 November 2012.
We begin in the medieval village of Robertsbridge, passing by the Abbey ruins of Robertsbridge (demolished by Henry VIII in 1536), apple orchards, and hop fields – before we arrive at the moated castle of Bodiam (built 1385) & Tea room for refreshments. The Bodiam castle is built to defend the area against the French invasion during the Hundred Years' War.
After this, we will then pass the local St. Mary’s church, cross the tracks of old Rother Valley steam train, until the historical villages of Salehurst & Robertsbridge emerges before us.
1. Meeting time: On or before 09:15am - Please arrive on time, so you have sufficient time to get tickets. We are getting the 09:48am platform 5 train)
2. Organiser fee: £5 cash pay on the day, at the end of the walk :).
3. Travel costs: £11.50 for group of 4 saver - arrive early to take advantage of this discount. Otherwise, an individual return ticket is £23.
4. Distance: 9.3 miles (About 4.5 hours walking time, depending on how fast you walk)
5. Meet up point: Outside the ticket office of London Bridge railway station (below the large departure time board, in front of the information point). Watch out for the construction work at the station - you may have to walk outside the station to get there if the normal route is blocked.
6. How to identify me: It's easy - I am Chinese-looking and I am the one who is holding the Banana Hiking sign.
7. My mobile number is[masked] 312.
8. Difficulty: easy to medium. Our walking pace is that we move at a pace that would allow conversation, without running short of breath. If you are concerned about your ability, please contact the organiser for further information.
9. Lunch: We will be taking advantage of the Bodiam Castle Tea Room at lunch time.
10. Need to bring: water, waterproof clothing, walking shoes, camera, torch and money for the tea room and/or pub.
11. Estimated time of arrival (EAT): London: on or before 9pm.
12. After the walk, it is open to you whether or not you wish to join the group for a pint and/or food at a local pub at Robertsbridge. Whether you decide to join us or not, it is advised that you travel back in London in group(s) of 4 to avoid possible penalties by the train company.
13. Map: I will be using OS Explore Map 136: TQ733235 and a silver compass. If all fails, we will navigate by the sun. Just joking. I will pre-walk the route within 14 days before the walk, to minimise all possible risks.
14. Weather: I will post the latest weather forecast 2 days before the walk, and will update it every day at 11pm. For the avoidance of doubt, the walk will not be cancelled if it rains. The idea is that you live in London: If you don't go out when it rains, you'd end up sitting at home and be on your computer all day.
15. London Tube: There are engineering work taking place on circle line, parts of Northern line, central and district line. Please check tfl website for further details.
16. Don't worry if you are coming alone. This is Meetup. 99% of the people come alone, and it is all about making new friends anyway :))).
If anyone have any questions, please feel do not hesitate to drop me an email at [masked]
I will response within 24 hours.