We're not just watching a movie -- we're studying it.
I'm experimenting with this form, and you are too.
"The Structure of Experience."
It's a "guided movie study" night, based on popular culture movies (*), where we watch movies from an analytical frame. (**)
(*) Movies I'd like to share include:
- Explorers 
- Groundhog Day 
- X-Men 
- Barbie's The Princess and The Pauper 
- Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3D 
- Happy Feet 
- Enchanted 
- Speed Racer 
- Kick Ass 
- Tangled 
- Suckerpunch 
- Limitless 
(**) Analytical Frame: Watching the movie from the frame of asking:
- "What questions is this movie encouraging me to ask?"
- "How and Why do I relate with these characters?"
- "What do I see, think, and feel, at specific points in the movie? -- and Why?" (alternatively:) "How do my body and mind respond to the events in the movie?"
- "Does this mean anything to me, or is it just entertainment?" (alternatively:) "Is my life any different, after watching this movie, than it was before?" (alternatively:) "What is the functional purpose of watching a movie?" (alternatively:) "What is the structure of entertainment?"
- "What themes or implicit arguments am I getting here?" (alternatively:) "If this movie were an essay, what would its text read?"
Parts of the plan:
* I'll introduce the questions I'd like you to keep in mind as we watch.
- "What questions are the characters asking?" (verbally, implicitly)
- "How do I personally relate to this character?"
- "What perspectives are they representing?"
* We'll watch. We'll take brief breaks during the showing to collect what we came up with so far.
- Keep notes as you watch: impressions, feelings, emotions, agreements, disagreements, insights
* We'll talk about what we watched at the end, and what our experience of it was.
This is my first time doing this -- I have no idea what'll happen..!
This is basically a superhero movie. Themes: focus, identity, human potential.
Starts at 7PM, ends at 10PM.
There will be food -- celery and chips and peanut butter and stuff like that.
~ Lion Kimbro