Triangle Drupal Users' Group Message Board › Drupal gardens

Drupal gardens

Kristy
kristyfrey
Durham, NC
Post #: 6
Hi everyone! It was nice to finally meet some of you on Friday. Formerly, I was into drupal pretty hard core (5+ years ago). I have a drupal site again (www.recycleparty.com­) and this time I am pretty restricted in regards to what I can do programatically because I am using drupal gardens. If any of you are in the same boat, I hope to meet you at one of the co-working events - maybe we can collaborate!
David
dmp1ce
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 16
Cool! The site looks good. Thanks for sharing.
Kristy
kristyfrey
Durham, NC
Post #: 7
Cool! The site looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! It still needs a lot of work and there is one thing about gardens that might be the deal-breaker for me - no social log in module. I just added the request for the module to the wishlist again.

Here is what I wrote:

I noticed that the other post "FB Connect" post is closed, but I really feel this is a big deal with the gardens platform. I've been able to work through most of the other restrictions that we have on gardens, but this one is actually hindering the success of our website. Here is why:

My gardens site is for an Etsy team with 5600+ members, yet only 250 have successfully registered on website. Many have asked why they can't login in with facebook, twitter, google, etc. because the last thing they want is another username and password to keep track of. Honestly, I don't blame them.

Of those who have attempted to register, many have run into the registration problems documented here on the forums. Some of them have managed to get through the workaround like clearing cookies etc. Most are not going to deal with that.

I have a paid subscription plan that is up for renewal in May and would like to know if there is ANY chance gardens would have a social connect module by then? Otherwise, I'll need to start preparing for the recommendation I know is coming :(

The recommendation I'm sure is coming is "export and host it yourself". SIGH.
David
dmp1ce
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 17
Yes, most likely that will be the recommendation. :( But, I think Barb has done some work exporting Garden sites, so maybe the process won't be so bad.

There is some pretty cheap hosts out there which will allow you to have Drush access to more easily maintain your site. I think that is probably the route you'll need to go.
Barb B.
user 7573968
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 4
Hi Kristy!

Exporting and importing it to a fresh Drupal 7 installation was easy. I moved a site last summer, and it went very quickly. However, now that I'm trying to add some more complex features, I keep finding legacy Acquia cruft in there - some strange modules that can't be uninstalled, etc. Nothing really major, but I think some of it doesn't play well with Rules. Nothing officially confirmed, but it sure feels like it. Ultimately, I'm probably going to recreate the site in a clean Drupal 7 installation, installing the modules I need and am using from scratch and importing data.

I'd be happy to talk through more of my experience if you like! Just let me know - perhaps we could meet for lunch or coffee.

Barb
Kristy
kristyfrey
Durham, NC
Post #: 9
It's official - we are off Gardens. The site export and re-launch went surprisingly well. And Barb, YES - SO MUCH CRUFT! I have to say I am REALLY happy with the ability to use the Janrain ENGAGE module and make registration easier for the members.