addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Triangle Drupal Users' Group Message Board › What's the best way to go from development to production?

What's the best way to go from development to production?

BAM
user 6412394
Apex, NC
Post #: 14
Using one install (or instance) of Drupal I am hosting several sites now! (I'm very happy to have gotten that working!) The one problem I have is this: I cannot begin work on a site until I have the actual domain parked at my host. So what do we do when there is an existing site and we are working on a new site.

See, multisite Drupal requires something like this: I am making a site for example.com, so I park example.com at my primary domain and the create a folder in 'sites' like this: /sites/example.com with the appropriate files in it. Where I am having difficulty is when example.com exists already, and I don't want to take it down until a Drupal site is ready to swap with it.

I have tried making subdomains to my primary domain (in my case, aredlion.com is my primary domain for hosting purposes) so I would make example.aredlion.com and then make a folder in sites called 'example', but I can never get the subdomain to even look there. I get 404 error no matter what.

Thanks for any insights. I'm sure the folks at Coalmarch deal with this every day, right?
BAM
user 6412394
Apex, NC
Post #: 15
I knew as soon as I posted I'd figure it out, even though I spent many hours researching this yesterday. So, when making a subdomain, you have to force it to point to the public_html folder (assuming that is where you have Drupal installed). From there I created an example.aredlion.com folder in 'sites' and I'm on my way.

HOWEVER, this still does not put me in the clear for when example.com is ready to be switched over. I'm sure it won't be as easy as renaming example.aredlion.com folder to example.com, right?
Allen F.
user 3485804
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 7
actually, if example.com points to the same doctoot as your core install, changing the folder and site base URL in settings.pup should be all you need
Sheena
user 3009957
Clayton, NC
Post #: 8
"...I cannot begin work on a site until I have the actual domain parked at my host."

Hi BAM, by begin work, are you talking about editing an existing site or creating a brand new site? This quote makes it sound to me like you are doing your development work on your actual hosting server, which, whether you are creating a new site or editing an existing site, is not a good idea for a few reasons.

If I'm misunderstanding you, forgive me, but if I am not, be sure to talk to me at the meetup next week and I will help you set up a development environment yourself on your personal computer, and show you some modules that will help you move everything to the live server very easily when the time comes.
BAM
user 6412394
Apex, NC
Post #: 17
"by begin work, are you talking about editing an existing site or creating a brand new site?"
Creating a new site for an existing url.

"This quote makes it sound to me like you are doing your development work on your actual hosting server"
You got me! I'm that guy.

"be sure to talk to me at the meetup next week and I will help you set up a development environment yourself on your personal computer"
Yeah, I should prob work locally on my desktop, esp since Roadrunner has been unpredictable the past few days. I'll bring my laptop with me at Meetup for some instruction on how to change my sinful ways. tongue

"show you some modules that will help you move everything to the live server very easily when the time comes."
That would be great!!!