addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Triangle Drupal Users' Group Message Board › Hack night? GDO page? Views gallery or slideshow?

Hack night? GDO page? Views gallery or slideshow?

BAM
user 6412394
Apex, NC
Post #: 18
At the last meetup we had discussed having a hack night/day and getting on groups.drupal.org, just following up on that.

Mainly because I have spent a good part of my day trying to make an image slideshow using Views Slideshow and am having ZERO success. I cannot even get the option of adding an image to a view!
Sheena
user 3009957
Clayton, NC
Post #: 11
Hi BAM,

We're waiting on approval for our g.d.o site. Sometimes that takes a long time.

As for the Views Slideshow; you won't actually be adding images to the View. You'll add the images to Nodes (if this is a normal "image gallery" type slideshow, then I would suggest making a Content Type called something like "slideshow image", with a CCK image field).

Then, you will create a View that uses the "Node Type" filter to limit the output to only "slideshow image" nodes. If you want to have multiple slideshows, you could also create a Taxonomy Vocabulary and add an additional Taxonomy Term filter to the View.

Next, you will click on "Style" and then choose "Slideshow" under the "Basic Settings" for the View, and then you will have a slideshow!

Hope that helps until we can get moving on the hack night!

~Sheena
BAM
user 6412394
Apex, NC
Post #: 19
Sorry, I didn't really mean "add an image to the view", that was just a lack of knowing the Drupal jargon.

I think I could restate the problem in saying I have images that were imported using the image module, yet I cannot seem to find anyway to have Views find them. No filter, no fields, no nothing...

I did find some breakthrough in Filter: Node Type = Image, but that brings in all kinds of text crap, not just the image. I cannot find out how to show just the image itself.

I am very surprised at the lack of documentation on this subject. One solution said something about using an image taxonomy, but I cannot find where to add taxonomy to an image.

I'm starting to think the Drupal learning curve IS too steep for the common man.

Sheena
user 3009957
Clayton, NC
Post #: 12
Hm, it looks to me that the Image module doesn't create a Field that is targetable by Views. if you had used a custom content type with a CCK Image field, you could just switch the Row Style to "Fields" and choose the appropriate field to display. The only way I can see to make this work is using a custom template (node-image.tpl.php), but I don't know the Image Module very well.
BAM
user 6412394
Apex, NC
Post #: 20
can u do a mass import with cck? i like the image module b/c i can import (in this case 70+ pics) all the pics with one click. it makes each one a node.
Allen F.
user 3485804
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 8
can u do a mass import with cck? i like the image module b/c i can import (in this case 70+ pics) all the pics with one click. it makes each one a node.

I haven't had a chance to vet this yet but yes, there is a module that permits bulk upload to cck content types containing an imagefield:Imagefield Import

Another thing to keep in mind is I've heard rumors the maintainer of Image.module is grumbling about discontinuing the module come D7 quote "who the hell uses Image anyway?".

IMHO the benefits of utilizing CCK far outweigh any tradeoffs between it and the image module.
Allen F.
user 3485804
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 9
In regards to a hack day or something of the kind I'm REALLY for this. I've got a new module I'm in the process of speccing out (it'll be my first contrib module if it gets off the ground) and I could really use some designer feedback/insight on the project.