add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Vegans of the NC Triad Message Board › POTENTIAL New Restaurant RSVP Policy

POTENTIAL New Restaurant RSVP Policy

A former member
Post #: 66
While we had a fantastic meetup, this afternoon, we also had the largest number of no-shows that I've witnessed while organizing this group. We're already beginning to strain capacity at Boba House and accurate RSVPs are becoming more and more critical for our group.

Many of the restaurant-visiting meetups in the area already employ a three strikes policy which I am tentatively considering. The policy would work like this:

1) You have until 11 am, or one hour prior to our event, the day of our meetup, to accurately place your RSVP -- you can correct it on the site itself, by e-mailing me, or by calling me via a phone number I'll give out a week before the event

2) If we arrive at the restaurant and I've confirmed your 'Yes' or 'Maybe' RSVP at 11 am and you do not show, I will make a note, to myself, that you did not show up when you said you would.

3) If this happens 3 times, you will be removed from the group.

I would really like feedback on this idea. For instance, do you think this is a fair and acceptable policy? Do you have other ideas you'd like to share? What are your feelings here?
A former member
Post #: 7
I think this is a very fair policy. Sometimes people don't realize the effort it takes to coordinate events, and this will make it a lot easier for you and the restaurant.
Andrea H.
user 4708393
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 2
I can see why this might be necessary and probably fair but it'd be a shame to turn someone away. I have 2 very young children which make it really hard to get with these meetups though I've really been wanting to come because I don't know any other vegetarians! I so would love to talk to some like-minded people but like I said it is really hard for me the day of the event since most places that are vegetarian are not child friendly.
A former member
Post #: 2
Jen - Thank you for putting yesterday's Meetup together. I am new to the group. Originally, I said yes to yesterday's meeting, but was able to RSVP a "no" prior to the meeting. I am really looking forward to attending the next meeting. I would be against the 3 strike rule. If I were in your position, I might think differently and be for the 3 strike thing, but I really would want to weigh the benefits of open access to the group against the inconvenience of no shows.

Maybe we can implement a different 3 strike rule. this rule starts with the restaurant rather than starting with the membership. If our reservation get turned away for reasons of not having the right head count, we count that as a strike and find somewhere else to go. After three restaurant strikes, we then consider implementing the 3 strike membership rule.

I know I am new and have not met anyone yet, but I really think that groups and clubs have a way of fostering inclusiveness and this inclusiveness is sometimes best applied to the members that may be on the fringe of the group.

Thank you for allowing us a forum for this discussion.
A former member
Post #: 67
I'd like to thank every one of you who gave me feedback on this potential policy. I really appreciate your time and your thoughts.

What I have difficulty understanding is why it would be difficult to know one hour before an event whether or not you'll be able to attend? That seems like a very reasonable time frame to me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this that they'd like to share?

For the time being, I'm simply going to keep a close eye on our RSVPs and our attendance. We'll see how March's meetup goes and while we're having lunch, I'd like to talk for a minute or so about how we as a group would like to handle things.

I am very interested in hearing furthur feedback. And please don't hesitate to conctact me if you have any quesions!! At all! If you want to know more about Boba House's menu or whether the restaurant has high chairs or whatever you might think of, please don't hesitate to ask! You can contact me at hazelfaern at aol dot com or simply click on the button marked Jen on the left hand side of the screen.

And thanks again, so much, for giving me a few moments of your time and your thoughts on this nettlesome issue :) I'm looking forward to seeing you in March.
A former member
Post #: 68
I'd like to take a quick second to thank everyone who took a few minutes to communicate their thoughts and feelings about the potential new RSVP policy, over the last couple of weeks. I really appreciate your feedback -- it goes so far towards helping us grow a vibrant, happy Meetup group.

I've spoken with the restaurant about our RSVP issues and this is their take:

--They are fine with seating up to 20 of us, but if our event reservation grows to over 12 people they need to know before we arrive -- this means by 11 am on the day of our event, which, to me, seems incredibly reasonable.

--This is why: when we have a group of under 12 people, we get a private table in the back of the restaurant in our own room. If we have more than 12 people, the restaurant has to seat us in the main dining area, at seperate tables which seat 6 people each. Because the restaurant is so tiny, they can't really line up the tables in order to seat us together without breaking a fire code or two.

--So, to clarify, this is a logistical issue which mainly involves allowing the restaurant a reaonable amount of time to set up our tables.

Here is the big question of the moment:

What are your thoughts on being seated at seperate tables in the main dining room, vs being in the private area in the back?

You can answer (by poll) here­.

Answer when you're able (it should only take a second to follow the link and answer the poll -- or, if you're limited by a firewall and can't respond via web, please feel free to e-mail a response to me at hazelfaern at aol dot com).

I'm planning on taking in feedback over the next few days about this issue and RSVPs overall. I have another question that I'd like to ask you tomorrow (and please remember that we have an open thread for this discussion here -- I'm going to be posting this e-mail to the same thread once I've hit send)

I'd like to talk about this a teensy bit at our next meetup (but rest assured that's not all we'll be talking about!) and then, if all goes well, I'd like to have a solid approach to RSVPs that I'll have up and posted on our about page by the 22nd of March.

Of course, I'm not saying that any of this is a foregone conclusion -- it's simply what I'm aiming for!

If you have any thoughts, questions, ideas or concerns that you'd like to share with me, please don't hesitate to send me an e-mail.

And as a simple reminder, if you've RSVPed 'maybe' for the March 1st meetup this upcoming Saturday and your plans have crystalized or changed, please take a moment to update your RSVP. It helps out so much!

And thanks again for your time and willingness to communicate, it means so much!

Ta for now,
~ Jen