align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Vegans of the NC Triad Message Board › Vegan Suff I Highly Recommend

Vegan Suff I Highly Recommend

A former member
Post #: 109

Coming back from the Animal Welfare meetup, today, Heather and I were chatting about how awesome Good Karma's Carrot Cake Rice Cream is. Seriously, folks, I could eat a whole tub of this stuff in one sitting. When Tommy mentioned that he'd always been a little leery to try soy and rice based ice creams, I started to think that it might be a good idea to have a section of our message board dedicated to our own personal recommendations.

You don't have to restrict yourself to ready made products like ice cream, or even food! Are there places, experiences, web sites, foods, books, vacations, conferences, etc, that you would like to recommend to us?

Tell us about it! (Please smile)
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 12
+1 for the Good Karma Carrot Cake Rice Cream. Its dangerously awesome! Earth Fare definitely has it. It tempts me every time I go past the ice cream section.

Oooh... I also love the Alternative Baking Company cookies. They are so good!

And Brandon put in his vote for Field Roast sausages - specifically the Smoked Apple Sage flavor. If you haven't tried it; seriously, you have to go out to Whole Foods (Winston-Salem) and buy it as soon as you possibly can and have it in spaghetti or on a bun or right out of the pan.
A former member
Post #: 110

Ok, here's one you can chalk up under simple pleasures: I've been baking bread, lately, and have just rediscovered how incredibly awesome tomato soup is. You know what I really like to do? I use up the bread I baked from the day previously by making hot buttered (I mean earth-balanced!) toast, breaking it up into crouton sized pieces and dropping it into my soup. This is so good! And warming on a cold day.

Mmmm, tomato soup!

If you'd like to try baking your own bread at home, here is a super-easy recipe I highly recommend!

Easy Bread

3 Cups Bread Flour (and it's important to use bread flour so that your bread will rise properly -- I recommend either the King Aurthur Bread Flour available at Earth Fare or try driving out to the Old Mill of Guilford for local and inexpensive bread flour!)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp oil
I cup warm (not hot) water (you don't want to scald your yeast!)

Add ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Stir together until mix becomes one big lump of dough. Now, turn the dough out onto a counter top lightly dusted with flour. Set a timer and knead for a minimum of 5 minutes (this helps get the gluten all stretchy so the bread will rise) Once the dough is thoroughly kneaded, allow it to rest on the counter while you wash out your mixing bowl.

Lightly grease your clean bowl with a small amount of vegetable oil, place the dough back in it and place it in a warm-ish draft free spot for 1 to 1.5 hours, or until the dough is roughly double in size (the cooler your kitchen is, the longer this will take)

Once the dough has doubled, punch it down flat. Place it in a greased loaf pan, or if you don't have a loaf pan, shape dough into a round pebble shape (or really, whatever shape you like) and place on a flat baking tray. Now let the dough rise one more time, 30 to 45 minutes.

Finally, place loaf or try into cold oven. Set to 350 degrees and start a kitchen timer set to 30 minutes.

To check your bread for done-ness, flip loaf out of pan and tap the bottom -- it should sound hollow. If it's not done, pop it back into the oven for 5 to 10 more minutes. If it is done, let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

I highly recommend home-made bread!

A former member
Post #: 111
+1 for the Good Karma Carrot Cake Rice Cream. Its dangerously awesome! Earth Fare definitely has it. It tempts me every time I go past the ice cream section.

Oooh... I also love the Alternative Baking Company cookies. They are so good!

And Brandon put in his vote for Field Roast sausages - specifically the Smoked Apple Sage flavor. If you haven't tried it; seriously, you have to go out to Whole Foods (Winston-Salem) and buy it as soon as you possibly can and have it in spaghetti or on a bun or right out of the pan.

You know what I had that was surprisingly good? ABC mint carob chip cookies.

And Field Roast sausages are super yummy! But wait... did they stop carrying them at Earth Fare? Golldurn it!

Tofurkey makes some pretty awesome vegan sausages, too.
A former member
Post #: 112
Oh, and this is the movie I was hoping we'd be able to watch for our Thanksgiving meetup, Heather: Peacable Kingdom.

You can see a sneak preview of the movie here.

The movie is currently in a second round of production. It was released in an earlier version several years ago and quickly became a favorite in animal rights/vegan circles. It is the warmest, gentlest, best film ever.

If the second version is even close to being as good as the first, it'll be a film I'll show to anyone and everyone, without reservation.
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 13
I would love to watch Peaceable Kingdom! I bet its wonderful. Do you have a copy of the original? I'm warning you in advance that there is a 99.9% chance that I will cry while watching this movie smile
A former member
Post #: 115
I don't have a copy just now. I'm looking, though.

I'm warning you in advance that there is a 99.9% chance that I will cry while watching this movie

Wellll, I'd say there's prolly a 100% chance of tears, but I'd be crying right along with you. I always cry when I watch this movie.
A former member
Post #: 117
Oooh, I highly recommend this video.
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 15
I watched that video! How true. I liked how short, succinct, and to the point it was. It pretty much said it all. Plus, it kinda reinforces why I'm vegan in the first place and makes me feel good about my choice. Yay for empowering (and non-bloody) videos like that one.

It'd be great to watch Peaceable Kingdom during the meetup. I think everyone would enjoy it, even if they are in tears at the end.. haha. Hopefully you can hunt down a copy!
A former member
Post #: 122
Earthfare has dangerously addictive vegan truffles on sale -- Trufettes de France Organic Truffles. Wow. That'll learn me to watch out for those sneaky free samples!