addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Vegans of the NC Triad Message Board › Any recipes/suggestions?

Any recipes/suggestions?

A former member
Post #: 2
Help! I am struggling to find much variety in my meal options. I'm still fairly new to the world of vegan/vegetarianism and I can't have soy. Seems like a lot of the vegan recipes I've found include tofu/soy. Any suggestions or recipes that people could provide with be greatly appreciated. I'm very hungry these days! tongue

Thanks!

Ivy
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 28
Seitan! Its wheat gluten and its wonderful. I don't know if you've tried it. There are a few different recipes. This is my fav:

The Recipe O' Greatness:
By Lachesis (http://www.postpunkki...­)

Ingredients:
1.5 cups vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp pepper (I use 2 tsp)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (you can use 1/8 tsp if you like it less spicy)
1/8 tsp allspice
2 tsp garlic powder

3/4 cups water
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 325°.

In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for a minute or two.. it doesn't need long.

Form into a log (6-8" long), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends. Bake for 90 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.

Nutritional Info
The entire log has:
1134 calories
32g fat
63g carbs
158g protein

You can use it in almost anything. We like BBQ seitan sandwiches. You can use something in replace of the soy sauce in any of these recipes. Also, Chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon (which you can also bake, 30 min - 375 degrees, flip once):

Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Mokowitz

* 1 cup cooked chickpeas
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
* 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
* 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 2 cloves garlic, pressed or grated with a Microplane grater
* 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
* 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
* Olive oil for pan frying

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas together with the oil until no chickpeas are left. Add the remaining ingredients and knead together for about 3 minutes, until strings of gluten have formed.
2. Preheat a large heavy-bottomed nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, divide the cutlet dough into 4 equal pieces. To form cutlets, knead each piece in your hand for a few moments and then flatten and stretch each one into a roughly 6 by 4 inch rectangular cutlet shape. The easiest way to do this is to form a rectangle shape in your hands and then place the cutlets on a clean surface to flatten and stretch them.
3. Add a moderately thin layer of olive oil to the bottom of the pan. Place the cutlets in the pan and cook on each side for 6 to 7 minutes. Add more oil, if needed, when you flip the cutlets. They’re ready when lightly browned and firm to the touch.
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 29
You can also by pre-made seitan in the store to make sure you like it (if you haven't tried it). And might I suggest buying Veganomicon. Its the best cookbook ever!!!! :) She labels the soy free recipes too!
A former member
Post #: 129
You can also by pre-made seitan in the store to make sure you like it (if you haven't tried it). And might I suggest buying Veganomicon. Its the best cookbook ever!!!! :) She labels the soy free recipes too!

Ooh, I have! Earth Fare has a great "Chicken Style" seiten in a kind of broth that you can use to make gravy. Highly rated by my super-picky boyfriend who hates meat analouges, by the way. They also have several selections of seitan in the tofu/tofurkey/vegan cheese section.

I'll have to look for it, later, but I think I have posted a super-yummy recipe for black bean Tex Mex casserole. Working on variations of tex mex (pinto or black beans, tortillas or cornbread or chips, salsa, vegetables, guacamole) are all really easy and do not involve any soy.

Also, hummus! Hummus is a chickpea spread that is really popular in the mid-east and the mediteranean. Try the Sabra brand from Harris Teeter. They have a great spicy hummus that's really, really good on a sandwhich sided with a cup of tomato soup (it reminds me of my old favorite of grilled cheese and tomato soup, kinda!)

Also, Soy Delicious, ironically, has begun offering soy-free offerings, including soy-free vegan yogurt and soy-free ice cream which is based on coconut.

You can also find some tasty rice-based alternatives. I was very sad when Earth Fare discontinued Celestial Seasonings rice based ice creams. They had a great hazelnut flavor that I really liked.

Good Karma has a great carrot cake flavor, though.

I'll think more on this and see if I can't post some better suggestions, later.
justjoey
user 8228882
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 3
Don't know if you can eat TVP. or textured Vegetable Protien, if so I can send you a very excellent chili recipe if your so interested. thanks joey
A former member
Post #: 223
Check out http://www.fatfree.co...­. It's a huge database of veg recipes. I have liked most that I have tried. It's searchable many ways - including ingredient, so it's great if you have some broccoli or something you want to use up.
Sena
user 13475801
Greensboro, NC
Post #: 10
I have to post about a vegan cookbook that my sister gave me. So far, I've made 2 dishes from it, and they are some of the best things I've ever eaten. My non-veg husband loved both, too! It is the cookbook from Horizon's vegan restaurant in Philadelphia (which has apparently closed, but the owners opened a new veg restaurant). I made the best hummus I've ever had and Oyster Mushroom Rockefeller. I made the mushroom dish tonight and am trying not to eat the whole thing! I brought the hummus to a work event, and everyone loved it! Here's the book: http://www.amazon.com...­

By the way, Heather, I just saw that you posted a seitan recipe years ago that Jeff shared with Kim and me recently. It's the Seitan O'Greatness. It's too die for and the easiest seitan I've ever made. Jon loved it, too!

Sena