align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Triangle Rabbits Meetup Group Message Board › Is Baking soda safe for Rabbits?

Is Baking soda safe for Rabbits?

A former member
Post #: 8
Hi!

I have a question. My new Bun, Tux is a very smelly boy! I clean his litter EVERY day if not more!! It's costing me a fortune (I buy carefresh ultra, and its like $25 a bag, and I have to buy one almost every week!!) I never had this problem with Baby- with her I add clean carefresh to the top every day, put all fresh in every third day, and clean it (with vinegar-water) once a week..... anyhow- I would like to put some baking soda in Tux's litter to see if that helps. Right now his box is newspaper (I read that would help the smell), then carefresh. I would put the baking soda under the newspaper, and then again over the paper, with carefresh on top. Is this safe?

thanks!

Kim
Lindsay B.
user 4381972
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 16
Kim,
I am not sure about the baking soda, but I highly suggest trying feline pine or the Petsmart brand which is much cheaper. When I first got the boys I bought a bag of Carefresh and quickly switched since my house smelled terrible. I also used Carefresh when I first got Tuscan and didn't like it. It is expensive and was terrible at odor control. I know lots of people use it, but I prefer feline pine or yesterday's news. Both are found in the cat litter section and are WAY cheaper than Carefresh. With either you shouldn't have to change the litter daily which will also save money. I found the aspen shaving work well too. It isn't my first choice, but it is very cheap and held the odor better than Carefresh. I guess I have found the wood litters to be best with odor. (NOTE: Do not use pine or cedar shavings - pine in a pelleted form is okay). Hope that helps. Too bad we can't get wood stove pellets around here. I LOVE those!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A former member
Post #: 9
Thanks! I am going to go look for Feline pine today!
Kathy M
user 4370699
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 7
I know pine shavings are not safe for rabbits - don't know about the Feline Pine. The pine oil is toxic and can cause liver damage. I use Yesterday's News unscented. It comes in large green bag and is very cost effective. A 30 lb bag is about $15.00. It's made from recycled paper and has a clean scent ( not perfume or anything). It's the best litter I've used. Just make sure it's the unscented They also sell it in the rabbit section in a purple bag but it's a lot more expensive. The pellets are smaller, but I actually prefer the larger pellets. Works way better than Carefresh or Aspen.
Kim L
user 4906610
Apex, NC
Post #: 1
I also use Yesterday's News - unscented of course. I think it's great. I have 6 rabbits and 4 litter boxes. No-one ever knows there is an animal in the house at all, and they all live in the same general area.
Lindsay B.
user 4381972
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 17
Hey guys, just wanted to put this info from HRS on this thread. I used to use Yesterday's News and still get it sometimes. I started using the feline pine because it was cheaper. Wood stove pellets sell for about $4 for a 40 pound bag. We just can't get them around here. :( I have found the feline pine and wood stove pellets are more absorbent.

From HRS:

Compressed sawdust pellets: are inexpensive, highly absorbent litters used in many foster homes. They are made from softwood or hardwood sawdust, but they are not toxic because the phenolic compounds are removed during their manufacture. Their wood composition helps control bacterial growth and odors. Wood stove fuel pellets and Feline Pine are two examples of this product.

Link http://www.rabbit.org...­
Link http://www.rabbit.org...­
Kathy M
user 4370699
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 8
Good to know. Thanks, Lindsay