Triangle Red Sox Nation Message Board › Peavy - Iglesias Trade

Peavy - Iglesias Trade

Howard W.
HowardW
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 5
I have bad vibes about this trade. Jake is NOT the same pitcher who won the Cy Young. I am afraid this will turn out like the Larry Anderson - Jeff Bagwell trade. If the Sox go on to win the pennant, I will be shocked if Peavy is a major reason. And I do expect Drew will be hurt again and then the Sox will have NO shortstop. What do you think?
Rick M.
user 48228452
Clayton, NC
Post #: 2
I don't see Peavy as a #1 starter, but I think he can still pitch. And the Sox need pitching desperately. While I hope that Drew will stay healthy and become a better average hitter, he could go back on the DL for some sort of ailment. Bagwell was great, Hanley Ramirez is great, Anabel Sanchez is doing well. We sent some guy to B'more a while back, he was very good. I just figured that Iglesias or Boegarts would be traded since they are both shortstops. Xander Boegarts is 20 and playing at Pawtucket. He has good range, and a nice up-side. He didn't impress me with his arm last Saturday night. I don't think he's ready for the show yet. He looks to be a year away. Shortstop has been an achilles heel for the Sox for years. Drew is just the latest patch. If he goes down, I think Xander will come up, ready or not.
We go to NY soon, and I hope Peavy can earn his pay while we are there.
Paul
user 87067422
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 1
I have bad vibes about this trade. Jake is NOT the same pitcher who won the Cy Young. I am afraid this will turn out like the Larry Anderson - Jeff Bagwell trade. If the Sox go on to win the pennant, I will be shocked if Peavy is a major reason. And I do expect Drew will be hurt again and then the Sox will have NO shortstop. What do you think?

Sorry, Howard, that you are a gloom and doom "fan."
A former member
Post #: 444
Peavy was/is a beast -- not the same guy after injury, sure. Xander is the future at SS. Iglesias is a brilliant all-glove shortstop, but I can't see him having even close to a Bagwell or even Hanley like impact. Someone with his hand-eye coordination should turn out to be a better hitter than what he showed in the minors, but that 400 average Iglesias showed over a month was a BABIP-based mirage. Solid trade.
A former member
Post #: 445
Our string of sub-par SS all started when we traded away Nomar. I've been calling it "the curse of Nomar"
Rick M.
user 48228452
Clayton, NC
Post #: 3
When you get offered $32M for 4 years, and you turn it down - you get traded. The guy was definitely a dirt dog, but what choice did the Sox have?
A former member
Post #: 446
http://sports.espn.go...­

I do my best to try not to read or speculate about contracts. It's all funny money anyway.

http://www.boston.com...­

I thought they should have held onto O-Cab for a few years. Very good defensively and underrated offensively.
A former member
Post #: 447
More importantly, where the heck are we watching game 1?
Rick M.
user 48228452
Clayton, NC
Post #: 4
Rudy's in Apex.
And I agree about Orlando Cabrera. He just had moxy. Quiet, gritty, and seemingly always there. And besides, Sheri (my wife) loved him.