Looking for a way to volunteer during the holiday season in a veg-friendly way? Inter-Faith Food Shuttle (IFFS) partners with NC farmers to gather excess production and distribute it to those who need fresh produce. Let's help them gather collard greens, with an optional bag lunch after!
We will meet at the IFFS office in Raleigh to carpool/caravan to a farm in Willow Springs, NC, about a 35-minute drive away. If you prefer to meet us at the field, please say so in your RSVP and I will send you directions. We will be collecting collard greens from 9:30 until 12:30.
What to bring:
• completed volunteer form – I will e-mail the form to those who RSVP yes
• water bottles/water cooler(s)
• snack or bag lunch
• sun protection—hat and/or sunscreen
• allergy medication if you need it
• rain jacket if rain is forecast (we’ll glean in light rain; we won’t glean in a thunderstorm)
Please wear weather-appropriate work clothing in layers and sturdy footwear that you won’t mind getting dirty. IFFS will provide all harvest equipment and packaging.
There will be no bathroom in the field! Please plan accordingly - stopping at a restroom on the way there and/or back is encouraged. Children are welcome with a parent.
Please see http://www.foodshuttle.org/program/field-Gleaning for more information about this great program.