addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Triangle Indie Film Meetup Group Message Board › Experimenting with the new Meetup design

Experimenting with the new Meetup design

Mark F.
MarkFoskey
Group Organizer
Chapel Hill, NC
If you've been to the Meetup site in the past week or so I'm sure you've noticed the changes in the site design.  The biggest difference is that "suggestions" have morphed into "meetups in the making."  What this means is that, if there's something you want to go to, you can put it on the calendar yourself and it shows up as a potential meetup that people can RSVP to, but it doesn't get announced as an official event.  If at least three people sign up, it becomes a real event. 

There are some problems with this.  It used to be that you could post suggestions just to give people a heads-up.  If you were an organizer who couldn't go to something but thought it was a good idea, that was a good route to take.  Now, Meetup thinks that the person making the suggestion plans to go to the event.  This is annoying -- you were trying to be helpful and now you're being marked as a no-show.

On the other hand, there are benefits.  Before I was an organizer, there were times that there were movies I wanted to see, but no event organized at a time I could go.  This will let you try to get a group together on your own, using the resources of the meetup.

The bottom line is, the feature can be turned off, but I'm going to leave it on unless there seem to be problems. If you do suggest an event, you might want to indicate whether you want to go or are just letting people know.  Try it!
Julie
stitcherymart
Cary, NC
Post #: 257
Hey Mark

If you have no objection, I will just post my suggestions on the message boards from now on (which hopefully will not generate an event). If folks have their profile setting turned on to receive emails about message board posts, they will still get notified about the suggestions and can post comments there. With enough posts of interest, that can help an organizer decide if there is enough interest to make it into a true meetup.

I don't know what to say about the calendar comments, since they are also generating emails telling members that there is a bogus event set up as well (different than the idea posts). I hate to delete them since telling people about good film opportunities they might want to see, even if it is on their own, I think is a great benefit this group offers. But I also have issues with spamming the group with bogus info.

As the organizer of 4 other groups, unless there are major reversals in the meetup design, I am opting to move my 4 meetups to another venue. The bugs and bad "features" like these are just too many in numbers for me to continue to pay meetup.

Julie
Julie
stitcherymart
Cary, NC
Post #: 268
They claim they have fixed the Notes being announced as meetups issue. I suppose we will find out. :D