addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Triangle Indie Film Meetup Group Message Board › New Indie Film Meetup: The Red Shoes (1948)

New Indie Film Meetup: The Red Shoes (1948)

Julie
stitcherymart
Cary, NC
What:  The Red Shoes (1948)

When: Friday, March 25, 2011 7:45 PM

Where: NC Museum of Art
2110 Blue Ridge Road
Raleigh, NC 27607
919-839-6262

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Red Shoes - 8:00 PM - North Carolina Museum of Art, East Building - Raleigh

Starring: Anton Walbrook, Marius Goring and Moira Shearer

Length: 2 hr. 13 min.

Director:   This film has a 98% freshness rating on Rotten Tomatoes! The film was nominated for 5 Oscars in 1949, including Best Picture. The film is also #9 in the "BFI 100", a list of 100 of "the best British
films ever" compiled by the British Film Institute in 1999/2000.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whether you loved or hated Black Swan, this movie is a ideal comparison of a similar theme in a bit more linear story format. The Red Shoes is one of my and my grandmother's favorite movies (and a still from the film has been my computer wallpaper for years!) You will be mesmerized by the lovely Moira Shearer in her first (and stunning) screen performance in a story of obsession, love, and eventual madness.

We will be seeing the 8:00PM show and I will meet everyone outside the museum auditorium with my big pink scarf 15 minutes before show time.

If you have never been to The North Carolina Museum of Art before, here is a link for directions and parking information.

Synopsis: Under the authoritarian rule of charismatic ballet impressario Boris Lermontov, his proteges realize the full promise of their talents, but at a price: utter devotion to their art and complete loyalty to Lermontov himself. Under his near-obsessive guidance, young ballerina Victoria Page is poised for
superstardom, but earns Lermontov's scorn when she falls in love with Julian Craster, composer of "The Red Shoes," the ballet Lermontov is staging to showcase her talents. Vicky leaves the company and marries Craster, but still finds herself torn between Lermontov's demands and those of her heart.

Rotten Tomatoes Link (98% freshness rating)

IMDb Entry Link

Our membership dues: Please support your Meetup group and use PayPal­ to pitch in your annual TIFMG membership dues ($10/year), or just to pay ahead a few months. If you have already paid your dues, we thank you for your support.