Meriwynn
Meriwynn
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 1
I thought this was an interesting, thought-provoking movie about the ways in which we are learning to negotiate our fairly new reality of living in a "flat", increasingly interdependent world. The paranoia and fear that the movie shows (and also effectively inspires--hand sanitizer, anyone?) brilliantly reflect feelings about the global debt crisis. Think about how the Chinese were represented in the movie -- as unwilling to cooperate with big, Western institutions like the WHO. They are the outliers who are also the source of the problem. Soderbergh's narrative choice illustrates really well the notion that the Chinese are emerging as*the* global economic powerhouse of the future and that perhaps people in the West aren't quite ready to start playing by somebody else's rules. Jude Law's character, a self-serving, fear-mongering blogger, is another great example of the mistrust many people feel towards new media and new ways of doing things. I have a lot of journalist friends who would've laughed hard but ruefully when he leaves the offices of the San Francisco Chronicle shouting "old media is dying!", because it's actually true.
Oh, and life imitates art: this morning I woke up with a terrible head cold. No fever or red blotches on my skin, though.