The Triangle Indie Film Meetup Group Message Board › Galaxy comments cont'd...

Galaxy comments cont'd...

Shawna
user 4384025
Cary, NC
Post #: 9
It really is sad news about the Galaxy. It is my favorite place in Cary. It is such a unique theater and I do hope they can relocate!
Daniel
Count_D
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 222
It is my favorite place in Cary too and hope that they have plan B.

Besides the movie ticket, there is the business that we brought to the local restaurants, I am sure that they will feel it. If there is an organized protest against demolishing the Galaxy, the restaurants would be a great ally on our side.
Jacqui
user 4604714
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 51
Posted today on the Galaxy Website:

Galaxy Cinema Update
You may have heard reports that the owners of the land that Galaxy Cinema sits on have submitted plans to demolish Galaxy Cinema and move forward with other development for a corner property that has become pretty valuable as Cary has grown over the years.

Please know that although the landowners are speculating about this possibility, at this phase it is only one possibility for the site and not a concrete plan for the future of our little arthouse home.

We're so pleased and humbled by the overwhelming show of support from our patrons. We've said it before, and we'll say it again: "We wouldn't be the same without you."

The owners and staff of Galaxy Cinema will do all we can to continue providing you the best independent, international, and documentary films for as long as we possibly can. Maybe longer! We are also planning plenty of special events (including the July 7-8 men's and women's Wimbledon finals). We'll always have the same passion for customer service, because each and every one of us sincerely loves working at the Galaxy and want the best experience possible for each and every one of our family members -- YOU!

Hang in there with us, please, as the landowners of our site proceed with their decisions about what to do with this valuable bit of Cary real estate and as our Galaxy Cinema owners consider options to keep the vision of the Galaxy shining.
A former member
Post #: 70
I recommend joining the Save Galaxy Cinema Facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/330887450327235/­). They're talking about organizing a grassroots effort to save the theatre, possibly meeting on Sunday.
Jacqui
user 4604714
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 52
Thanks Sheila! I figured someone would put something together. I do not have a Facebook account but may set one up just for this. I have a call into my contact at the Galaxy just to see how our group may be able to help in this effort so hopefully we will have more that people can do to supportbthis effort. I know the Galaxy loves our group and we book probably close to 30 or more percent of our events there so we should do what we can to help. I will post any additional information that I learn as soon as I do. Jacqui
Daniel
Count_D
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 223
More trouble for Galaxy:

http://www.newsobserv...­

This is so upsetting.
Julie
stitcherymart
Cary, NC
Post #: 592
This isn't going to be popular, but I think it needs to be stated.

I know some of you have sentimental feelings towards the Galaxy, but I think we should put this issue in perspective. The Galaxy owes months of back rent and has for a long time (and so does the restaurant). These folks may be nice, but they are not savvy business people and York Properties is not a charity and has the right to make money off the property they own (and pay hefty property tax on). Unless The Galaxy can put forth a workable business plan to profitability and financial backers to get them up-to-date in payments and guarantee they stay there, they financially cannot stay in business. The Galaxy isn't offering that up as a solution.

I quit scheduling events at Galaxy long ago when the manager, John, made us promises for discounts for large groups and we would show up and he had never told his staff and then it was a huge hassle (which many members can also attest to). He would say to call or email him and then never respond. After multiple occasions of this, I quit scheduling events there, and even wrote an email outlining the issues we had experienced and why I would be scheduling events elsewhere, to which they also never bothered to respond.

If you want business, you have to have a solid business plan and treat patrons well, and that was not my experience. I have never once had that problem at the Carolina, and they are now my theatre of choice and treat us extremely well consistently.

I think what we should be focusing on and be grateful for is that in this area we have such a wealth of places to see art films in the Chelsea, Rialto, Carolina, Varsity, The Raleigh Grand and Colony. Many areas don't even have one theater that shows art/indie films and we have a 1/2 dozen. That is something worth celebrating.

Jacqui
user 4604714
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 53
Julie,
It is unfortunate that you have not had the good relationship with the Galaxy as I have had over the years and, for whatever the reason, I am sorry for this. But what I do know is that I have always had a great relationship with all the members of this theatre and they have always treated me with the utmost respect in all my dealings with them since I have been scheduling events there. I have always been able to secure a discount for our group without issue which has benefitted everyone involved. Although we do have other theatres in the area that show Indendent films, and I have scheduled events at these as well, they are not always as convenient for many if us, and many times not as reliable, nor have they been as willing to provide our group with an automatic discount as the Galaxy has. So you were correct to assume that your point of view would not be popular as most of us will sincerely miss this very special theatre.
Julie
stitcherymart
Cary, NC
Post #: 593
For anyone looking to get a group discount for 10 or more people, contact Marlene the box office manager at the Carolina by phone or email. She and Richard (the box office manager before her) have always responded to my calls/emails the same day if they are in the office. The Carolina also updated their computer system and specifically added functionality to address the discount requests like ours seamlessly.
Daniel
Count_D
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 224
For those that really care about the Indie group.

The Galaxy going out of business deals our a group a huge blow. The Galaxy is by far the biggest indie theater in the area, no other comes close, therefore it has the biggest selection.

Digging and pointing the financial part is like finger pointing.
Galaxy's troubles also involves a lot of stuff that we don't know or is not specified, things that are beyond their control. Like: few years ago there seem to be a lot more indie movies that did well, not much for the past year.

Promoting Carolina as alternative, well, not quite. While Carolina is a nice place it has a total different scope then the Galaxy. And the other local indie theaters are less than half size from Galaxy.

The Galaxy always treated me very well, even got free popcorn out of them few times for saying who I was.

Just the facts here.