The Triangle Indie Film Meetup Group Message Board › Galaxy comments cont'd...

Galaxy comments cont'd...

Julie
stitcherymart
Cary, NC
Post #: 594
No one is pointing any fingers. It is better to know all the facts before making any decision. I just brought forth another side of this issue that isn't popular. Facts are only "negative" if it doesn't go along with what you want to be true.

My concern is everyone is saying "Save the Galaxy" and my question was "Save the Galaxy from what?"

I decided to dig a little deeper, since I first heard about troubles at the Galaxy at the end of last year and then again around February or so with the original court filing. So this was not new news to me, but I didn't know all the facts back then and assumed if could have been a misunderstanding.

I decided to find out more now, especially with the current court filing, since members were encouraged to buy memberships so questions like, "Will they get their money back if the Galaxy closes?" are relevant to some members and I think they deserve answers, especially if The Galaxy was in "limbo" when they sold them.

And as for being sentimental about the theater, I have been going to that theater for well over 25 years, back when it was the Imperial and the only theater in Cary. But I also recognize that progress happens and if York's claims are founded, it is their property and they have the right to do with it what they please.

I don't plan to schedule any events at the Galaxy, so the outcome is irrelevant to me. But as I said, knowing relevant facts shouldn't be offensive to anyone. It just helps people make better, informed decisions. Demonizing me for sharing my perspective won't change the situation at the Galaxy.
Daniel
Count_D
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 225
Not pointing finger but look at this and this and this and this and this. And the definition of demonizing is, since was mentioned?

This is movie group, not a financial analyst group. All we want to do is watch indie movies. The financial part of the Galaxy is not a topic of interest to people. It is unfortunate that they have them, in the end, all we want is to see a good indie movie and the Galaxy has done a very good job. And that's why the Galaxy needs to be helped.

When you love and like something you try to help it rather than pointing the shortcomings. It's the digging and more digging.

Besides, about making A decision. Is just decision to watch A movie not buy a car.
Mark F.
MarkFoskey
Group Organizer
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 5
I am going by memory here, but I believe the Galaxy has 8 screens, the Carolina, 4, the Chelsea, 3, and the Rialto, 1. It would be a shame to see half the independent screens in the triangle disappear at once.
Mark F.
MarkFoskey
Group Organizer
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 6
I should never go by memory. It looks like the Galaxy only has 6 screens. Still, that's a pretty big fraction of the total for the area.
Nancy A.
nancyalis
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 39
If the Galaxy owners are behind in their rent, then the landlords will seize the property. It's nothing personal. When I lived and worked in NYC back in the 80's, there were so many great clubs, and plenty of live music, no cover. Then the landlords raised the rent so high, the clubs had to shut down. Hence, the reason for all the Gaps, banks, drugstores and Starbucks on every corner. Landlords are greedy in general, and if this tenant did not pay their rent, they will lose their place of business. It is what it is.
Jacqui
user 4604714
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 55
Nancy,

They are not behind in their rent. This is not the issue at all. Unfortunately there has been a lot of misinformation being raised on this board and it is unfortunate that our group has to be subjected to this. I will provide an accurate accounting of the situation in a few days. Hopefully, as an Indie film supporter, and someone who works in the industry, you will be behind any proposed action to back our vision to keep this genre alive in our community.
Julie
stitcherymart
Cary, NC
Post #: 595
The Galaxy being behind in their rent hasn't just been stated on the board, but is also stated in court records filed by the landlord with the Wake County courts (for a second time).

York Properties/Village Square Limited Partnership has filed a complaint asking the court to grant a "summary ejection," or an eviction. York claims in the court documents that "the lease period ended on (4/15/2012) and the defendant is holding over after the end of the lease period," and that Galaxy has failed "to pay rent when due" in the amount of $130k for the cinema and $30k for the restaurant.

On those grounds, York/Village Square "has demanded possession of the premises from the defendant, who has refused to surrender it, and the plaintiff is entitle to immediate possession."

As for last Friday this case was still active and is due to go in front of a judge later in July for a ruling on the eviction.

Since filing a false claim with the court is a crime, I would say that there has to be some merit to the statement, but I suppose the truth will be determined in court later in July.
Daniel
Count_D
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 226
Some people are so fond at digging negative issues, they thrive on it. When in fact all they do dig themselves in hole.

Just about everyone wants to live the happy life except one, the previous writer.

Once again, this is a indie movie group not an financial analyst group. That's what we want to do here. Feel free to continue your saga of negativism somewhere else.

All everyone wants to do is see good indie movie, just butt out with all these negativism.

There is an old saying, if you got nothing good to say, say nothing. Is time to get with the program.
Julie
stitcherymart
Cary, NC
Post #: 596
Again, facts are just facts. They are not negative or positive. Everyone here has the right to know all the sides of the situation, and that is all I am providing. Facts allow everyone to make informed decisions.

I think it is also worth noting that I have not personally attacked anyone for their views on this board.

If anyone is going to support the Galaxy, they should know what they are supporting.

If it were a clear case of "York properties is evicting the Galaxy to put in a Harris Teeter" (which is the only other view being presented here) that would be one thing and I could see potentially getting behind that cause.

But if the reality is "York is evicting the Galaxy since they are behind in rent payments and squatting on the property (with an elapsed lease and they have been asked to leave due to lack of rent payments) for property York owns and pays taxes on, so they can allow another tenant to move and pay rent ", that is a completely different ball game.

I am assuming that many people are not going to want to ethically support squatters.

Also, since members have made a financial investment in purchasing memberships with the Galaxy, they have a right to know ALL the details. So it is a financial issue.

Additionally, I have received replies to my email with thank you statements from members for providing some additional details on the matter (and for my willingness to take the brunt of the criticism for it). So I don't think I am by any means alone in wanting to know all the facts, which is what I am attempting to do here.

I have nothing against the Galaxy, other than previous bad experiences and I don't plan to schedule any events there. Whether they stay is business will essentially but up to the courts and York Properties. Not trying to understanding York's stance is going to make any chance to saving the theater impossible.

Unless you can provide proof that York's statements in the court filings are untrue, then these are very valid statements to make. Based on the court records, York is a victim in this situation too. So who is being unfair?
Mark F.
MarkFoskey
Group Organizer
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 7
I could close this thread to new responses, but I do want there to be a place for updates on this topic. Let me make two requests. If a post makes your blood boil, do not respond. Conversely, if someone responds to you because your post made their blood boil, please also do not respond.

Thank you.