The Triangle Indie Film Meetup Group Message Board › Galaxy Community Meeting - More Details...

Galaxy Community Meeting - More Details...

Cary, NC
Hi Everyone

For those folks who might be planning to attend the Galaxy meeting on Saturday, I did a little additional digging and contacted the reporter who wrote the N&O story to find out a little more behind some of the "allegations" regarding the issues with the Galaxy.  I thought this background might be helpful to those attending so you can ask some specific questions.

What I found out:

(Note:  York Properties is the property owner of the Galaxy building and land where it stands,  pays the taxes on that property, and leased the property to the Galaxy owners):

York Properties/Village Square Limited Partnership has filed a complaint asking the court to grant a "summary ejection," or an eviction. York claims in the court documents that "the lease period ended on (4/15/2012) and the defendant is holding over after the end of the lease period," and that Galaxy has failed "to pay rent when due" in the amount of $130k for the cinema and $30k for the restaurant.

On those grounds, York/Village Square "has demanded possession of the premises from the defendant, who has refused to surrender it, and the plaintiff is entitle to immediate possession."

The filing was confirmed to still be active as of Friday with a hearing scheduled for later in July.

Based on what is filed in the court documents, I think the questions to clarify are:

• Is Galaxy Cinemas (and their restaurant) behind in rent and why?
  • Has their lease lapsed and were they asked to leave?  If they were asked to leave, why didn't they?

Hopefully that information is helpful, since there are generally three sides to every story, and this at least explains where some of the information came from and outlines York's complaints as filed with the courts.

Stay cool!