The Triangle Indie Film Meetup Group Message Board › Good or Evil?: Awards Season (week of Jan. 8)

Good or Evil?: Awards Season (week of Jan. 8)

Brian
000brian000
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 56
This message board post/thread continues our weekly discussion series, based on the hilarious Ultimate Judgment web site, in which we debate the relative Good or Evil of some film-related subjects. The aim here is to have a few laughs and open up the group to some pithy, topical group discussion. Enjoy, and please do join the fray by posting a reply. Try to keep your comments succinct (we are passing judgment here, not lecturing on the origins of man), include any relevant links or photos, and state definitively whether you are voting Good or Evil. I will tally the votes and post our group judgment next Monday!

This week's subject of summary judgment:

Awards Season

First GOOD or EVIL discussion of the new year - let's make it a good one!
laughing
David
DavidSpalding
Durham, NC
Post #: 37
Thumbs down. I really got a snootful of the inequitable ways of the AMPAS (otherwise known as The Academy) back in the day, and I used to have a 90% accuracy rating on my (cynical) bets for the year's awards. Don't even get me started about the 1976 special and visual effects awards brouhaha.

Even critics can be wrong about a film ... I was just reading about a couple of big names who've scorched a film on release, then later backpedaled and wrote complimentary re-reviews. Not that the lost revenue and public interest can be as easily undone.

So all this runway posing, artistic primping, and finger dowsing trying to pick "the best" just grosses me out. There are never "winners" ... just celebrated candidates. The more we focus on "winners," the worse off the "also rans" are. Harumph!
Brian
000brian000
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 57
Yup, I think the mainstream media cover films during the awards season with about as much insight as they do politicians during any election season, meaning basically "horserace" coverage peppered with a lot of celebrity gossip and gawking. But on the other hand I think the Academy finally got it right last year, nominating a lot of "indie" type, low-budget films like Good Night and Good Luck, Capote, Brokeback Mountain, and Crash, which, with its $6.5 million budget, was possibly the lowest-budget winner of Best Picture ever, when adjusted for inflation. For films like these, and also for a film like The Queen this year, the awards "buzz" actually helps generate audience and revenues from the public which might not otherwise know of the film or be interested in seeing it (or might just wait to see it on DVD). So I guess it's not all bad. But the net effect of the extended "awards season," from November to March, is that a buzzy film like The Queen hangs around for literally months at the theaters while other, less buzzy, though no less worthwhile, films get left out.

So if I had to pick a side, I guess I'm inclined to vote the awards season downright EVIL.
devilish

What do y'all think???
Sreedevi
user 2269270
Durham, NC
Post #: 5
oh but its so entertaining to watch celebrities wear obnoxiously expensive yet such funny looking clothes and then read careful analyses of wardrobe malfunctions and poor choice of colors for a red carpet event... The most gruelling part is having to sit through the speeches and sob sessions..

Incidentally, this year I hear there may be an increased number of african american nominations..wonder if that helps telly ratings any!
Brian
000brian000
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 61
This is shaping up to be a decidedly EVILish judgment... Anyone have anything nice to say about awards season? If not awards shows, which have a documented history of self-stroking pomp and ceremony, what would be a more appropriate way to reward and recognize those in the film industry?

I think it would be cool to have a sort of "People's Choice" Awards, except restrict it to genuine film fans and cinematic connoisseurs among the general public, folks who go to see films at their local Varsity or Galaxy theaters and are therefore competent enough to judge films and performances, but who do not have their livelihoods tied to the film industry. Maybe this could be modeled after the way they chart indie rock bands on college radio -- you don't calculate gross nationwide spins or sales, just the spins and sales (or weeks played and ticket sales) at particular stations theaters (usually college stations, or in this case indie/arthouse theaters). Convert your top ten to 15 films into a ballot with nominees for best film, director, writer, performances, etc., and distribute it at the box offices of these participating theaters as a way of encouraging people to come to support their local indie cinemas, and then announce the winners online, perhaps with a Netflix or GreenCine promotion to get more people renting indie DVDs. What do you think? Maybe the result would still be sinister, I dunno...
David
DavidSpalding
Durham, NC
Post #: 41
Perhaps my favorite "awards show" is the "employees' picks" shelf at Visart. (Does Avid have such a shelf, too?) Clerks in video stores usually have a good knowledge of what's on the shelves, and as often as not have very discerning tastes. When I was reviewing music, easily 1/3 of my "finds" were shoved in my hands by a clerk, announced as, "You HAVE to listen to this, no one's buying it but it's really cool." I caught on early this way to such as Nine Inch Nails, Fiona Apple, Future Sound of London (before they WERE FSOL), em:t records, Sarah McLachlan, Dead Can Dance.

I suppose that one reason I'm not into awards season is that I don't think of films as "oh that one was one of the best I saw in 2004." I either appreciate and enjoy films or I don't. The "pick of the last litter" isn't a way I view the broad smorgasbord of cinema. I suppose I'm saying that sometimes it takes a film 2 years to reach your eyes, so it's not "current," but it's terrific. ARMY OF SHADOOWS is an extreme example, THE WICKER MAN is another (7 years from completion until the finished version reached audiences).
A former member
Post #: 4
Hmm... I've been doing a graduate degree over the last several years, and award season is what remind me that films are good, I like them, I should see them. It also let me know which ones have been regarded as good by someone or another. I generally TiVo the Academy Awards (skim through that - WAY too long and dull), but I generally enjoy watching the Golden Golbes very much. There's absolutely no fille. They start the whole show with, "Welcome to the 2007 Golden Globe Awards. The nominees for..." No time waster, which leaves more time for people to give speeches. Plus, they are all eating food and drinking and sitting at the more social round tables, so they are more relaxed. I generally find that lots of fun to watch.

Plus, there's a part of me that loves all that who's wearing what hoopla. I can't help myself! While I run with the indie film snobs, at heart, I am not one.

And after these award shows, I tend to catch up on films a bit, which is a good thing.

On a totally unrelated note, Could this input box be any smaller?
David
DavidSpalding
Durham, NC
Post #: 45
On your unrelated note, Abby: yes. devilish laughing
Gabor
user 2469598
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 6
I vote evil. I have never seen any movie which I liked BECAUSE it got an Oscar, or was nominated,
even when I was younger and more impressionable. The awards shows are about treating movies like a commodity all the way. While treating them like that say 25 % of the way may be beneficial, I cannot help recalling a quote (very loosely) from Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers): "These guys (in the music industry) treat music like car salesmen. That is not a diss to car salesmen, but maybe they should then sell cars instead. "

On an unrelated note: "Apocalypto" rocks :) Has anyone seen it? From the reviews i really thought it would be a mindless gorefest. But it was simply a bloody entertaining (pun intended) adventure story.
:)
A former member
Post #: 5
Aha! The input box is really small in Firefox but normal sized in Internet Explorer (which I hate). Just so you know. Rereading what I wrote, it's typo-city. That's what happens when I can't really read what I'm writing. OK, back to the topic at hand.