add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Triangle Indie Film Meetup Group Message Board › Survey/discussion: your favorite "feel-good, at-home" movies

Survey/discussion: your favorite "feel-good, at-home" movies

A former member
Post #: 3
Since the topic says Feel Good, I'll leave out those movies that I watch over and over again that don't make me feel good (i.e. Crossing Delancey, Witness)

1. Airplane! - This is quite possibly THE perfect movie to watch when you're so tired/bummed/worn out that you're nearly numb. It pulls me out of my little funks every time.

2. About a Boy

3. Dirty Dancing

4. When Harry Met Sally

5. Pretty much any version of Pride and Prejudice - I prefer the Colin Firth miniseries and the newest Keira Knightley versions, but I'll sit through Bride and Prejudice and even the horrible Mormon version from a few years ago if they're on

6. The Parent Trap (1960s Hayley Mills & Hayley Mills version) - Brian Keith and Maureen O'Hara both seemed so glamorous to me when I was younger, and, in fact, they still do. I could watch the scene where Maureen O'Hara's character shows up at the ranch made over and sees her ex-husband for the first time in 12 years over and over.

7. The 1970s Disney animated Robin Hood
user 2469598
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 9
Since we were at chick-flicks (When Harry met Sally, etc.), how about some more recent ones, like

1) Serendipity?
It is one of my favorites, the story is great, actors are very likeable (John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale - though she does not show as much, umm, tone as in 'Underworld" :) ) Also, a similar
story happened with me a few years back, so it resonates...

2) Laurel Canyon?
Similar in a sense to Serendipity, though a lot more indie, and not so chickish,
but very much a feelgood movie. Frances McDormand is incomparable, as always,
Christian Bale is a bit weaker, but still good, again Kate Beckinsale, Alessandro
Nivola, (who is kind of a less famous variant of Ed Norton, roughly speaking, if you haven't seen him yet). And Natascha McElhone, who steals every scene she is in. If you see this movie, you cannot NOT remember her line: "How can you compete with that?" said in a heavy Russian accent.

Nor can you forget the pool scene - but I will not tell you what it is, he he.
From this list of actors, you can probably guess that we are talking about a serious
love-not-triangle, but a many sided polygon, mathematically speaking smile
This may even qualify for a DVD nite...

(FYI, I am a guy, if we haven't met yet...)
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 101
We may need a separate "Greatest Chick Flicks of All Time" discussion as a subset of this one. But then would guys be allowed to comment?

A former member
Post #: 4
Ok, I'll give 'Chick Flicks' a go...and, yeah, Brian, you fellows can "play along"...after all, you're oft'times dragged to them...kicking...screaming... wink In no particular order...

1) Thelma and Louise

2) Four Weddings and a Funeral

3) Sleepless in Seattle/An Affair to Remember

4) Steel Magnolias

5) Always

6) City of Angels

7) Beaches

8) The Way We Were

9) Notting Hill

10) Chasing Amy (highly under-rated film) cool

Alrighty, your shot... tongue
A former member
Post #: 5
While we're talking subgenres, some of my most favorite "comfort" films fall into the category of what I would call the friendship flick (for want of a better term). These are ensemble films that focus on a group of friends coming of age, coming together, and coming apart-- often through a crisis, rite of passage, or other time of transition.

I would say The Big Chill and The Breakfast Club are the most popular and classic examples, but my favorites are:

1. Walking and Talking - Nicole Holofcener's first film about the changes in two women's friendship when one gets engaged. It's very natural, believable, very new york, and has a brilliant cast. Anne Heche and Catherine Keener are great as strained bffs. Liev Schreiber plays Keener's friend with benefits and Little Children director Todd Field is Heche's fiancee.

2. Kicking and Screaming - a group of friends cope with life after college by refusing to leave college life behind. Debut film, written and directed by Noah Baumbach (The Squid and the Whale).

3. Reality Bites - a Gen X slacker classic, mines similar territory as Kicking and Screaming but not as well. Still good comfort food though, if a bit junkie.

4. Diner -Another first film - this time by Barry Levinson, about a group of guys bonding and becoming men.

5. Whit Stillman's sociological comedies of class and manners, Metropolitan and the Last Days of Disco.
The latter film I think is hilarious, smart and highly underrated.