addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Triangle Indie Film Meetup Group Message Board › Nevermore Film Festival

Nevermore Film Festival

Brian
000brian000
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 89

Hi, folks. Most of you are probably aware of the Full Frame documentary film festival that's coming to Durham in April, but I wonder how much interest there is in this other annual Durham film festival that's happening later this month, Feb. 23-25 to be exact. The Nevermore Film Fest bills itself as "one of the largest premiere genre festivals in the Southeastern United States." The organizers and fans of the festival seem to be rather sensitive about categorizing the types of films that are screened each year. While I'm most often tempted to call it a "horror film festival," they would prefer to leave the doors open to diverse programming. From the Web site: "While predominantly a horror/gothic/fantasy festival, NEVERMORE has strived to include hyper-violent Asian cinema, cerebral techno thrillers, anime masterpieces, classic suspense movies, campy tongue-in-cheek comedies, and straight-up exploitation flicks."

I bring this up because last year there was mixed interest in this festival, and I want to gauge how much interest there is among our membership this year. I guess some folks are really into these kinds of "genre" films and others aren't, but the folks who are into them are really enthusiastic about the festival. I have to say that I'm not a big fan of horror/fantasy, but the festival is always held in a terrific location and one of my favorite theaters, the Carolina Theatre in Durham, and the halls of the CT really come alive with all the filmmakers and "genre" film enthusiasts distributing literature, production notes, T-shirts, DVDs, and free stuff.

So have a look at the film schedule and let us know what you think. Do any of these films look especially interesting or Meetup-worthy?
David
DavidSpalding
Durham, NC
Post #: 57
Just my two cents,....

They claim to have a newly mastered print of Peter Jackson's Dead Alive to show. This is an extremely bloody (I mean, the production set records for the volume of fake stuff used in the production) tale of a young man whose mommy becomes a zombie and he tries to cover it up while courting the object of his affection. It's hilarious. It's ingenious. It's gross beyond belief (as was his super-low budget Bad Taste). Those who think his artistry began with LOTR or Heavenly Creatures (which I'd rather do a meetup to see) might be curious to see this early masterpiece. But ... not a meetup candidate IMHO.

Severance got a tepid-good review in The Guardian UK, but as a smart "The Office" meets "Deliverance." Intriguing fare for those eager to sample any comedy-horror film in release. ... Not a meetup candidate IMHO.

Bad Reputation sounds a bit like Sean Cunningham's reviled I Spit On Your Grave, perhaps with less unbridled misogyny, and seems to get some good (nay, glowing) reviews on IMDB. Seems a high school virgin is tied to a tree (assaulted? probably, if the current gutter state of the genre is preserved), and gains the reputation in town as the town trollop. Revenge, bloody revenge, ensues. Said to be original and witty in its execution of a hackneyed slasher genre formula. ... Most assuredly not a meetup candidate IMHO. (Unless you might enjoy seeing the last 1/2 hour of Last King of Scotland over and over and over again.)

(Those who haven't heard me talk about the Guardian's special flavour of film reviews, might take a peek at this snippet about Paul Verhoeven's latest, Black Book, which we've seen trailers for. Regardless of the film, sometimes, the Guardian reviews are hilarious reading. Almost as good as Paul Tatara's notorious write-ups during his CNN tenure.12)