The Triangle Indie Film Meetup Group Message Board › Galaxy Closing Official :(

Galaxy Closing Official :(

Shawna
user 4384025
Cary, NC
Post #: 10
From the Galaxy Website:

Galaxy Cinema will be closing it's doors

After eight years of bringing the best in foreign, documentary, independent and Bollywood films to the Triangle, the time has come for us to say goodbye. This weekend will be our final one, with our last shows on Sunday, November 11th. Please join us for one last chance to give you the best possible customer service, amazing concessions and to say Thank You for supporting us over all these years. The owners, managers and staff of Galaxy Cinema want to let you, our regulars, members and friends know that we never could have done this without you.
Jacqui
user 4604714
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 75
crying

And I cannot even get over there to see one last show as I will be working all weekend!

This is very sad and I know I can speak for many that this theatre will be greatly missed!
Blanche
user 3359856
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 83
WTF? What happened? There was all the drama on this board here regarding The Galaxy some time ago & now this?!?
Kevin
KevinNC
Apex, NC
Post #: 71
The building owner is likely going to put a bigger building there for Harris Teeter which has a smaller store near the mall.
A former member
Post #: 5
Shawna,

Are you going to see sopmething there on Sunday?
Shawna
user 4384025
Cary, NC
Post #: 11
Wasn't planning on it, Kevin.
Kevin
KevinNC
Apex, NC
Post #: 72
The owners are hoping to reopen in another location.
Katie
user 3172968
Durham, NC
Post #: 1
Just went to see a last movie there. Teddy Bear. Enjoyed it a lot and will miss the theater. If you learn more about possibilities for a future re-opening, please keep us posted! Thanks!
Kevin
KevinNC
Apex, NC
Post #: 73

http://www.newsobserv...­

The Morrisville Park place theater is closing soon so they might be able to take over that space. It's on 54.
Jacqui
user 4604714
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 76
Kevin, You must have missed this discussion about alternate locations a couple months back. The Park Place theatre is being closed because a new multi-plex is opening across the street near the new Target. Beyond that, it is very doubtful Cary will be involved in any such venture as they are just too homogenous in their approach to anything outside of the mainstream. Most likely the only areas that might take on such a venture are outside of Cary. I do know that a couple of the folks from the Galaxy will now be involved with the Raleigh Grande's art house faction and another possibility is downtown Raleigh where several ideas are being pursued. So we shall see..

For tonight, it was just nice to see a few folks from our group come out for a final show and we were recognized by one of my friends there from management as well as one of the owners who took pictures of us after our film and expressed much gratitude for our group and our support over the years. It was also just such a delight watching as several "zombies" entered the lobby before heading into watch the weekly showing of "The Walking Dead" - quite a sight and not one that you would see at just any theatre. This is the kind of thing I will miss most about the Galaxy - their willingness to step outside and take on something a little bit different be it watching the presidential debates with bingo cards to their French film series to the architecture series to Bollywood to a myriad of films produced in countries all over the globe. I just know that for a myriad of reasons, I am really going to miss this place!