addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Tucson Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › GPS / software recomendations

GPS / software recomendations

ron k.
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 21
I'm looking for GPS and software recommendations?????
Half the year I spend traveling and hiking around the US and Canada.
I need a GPS that will accept downloads or I can enter trail info.
Since I cover all 50 states I can't afford the buy the Garmin regional maps.
It might be better to have an online subscription and enter the appropriate trail manually????
Is the best site for this??????
Thanks for your help.
Patrick S.
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 6
Hi Ron,

I have an old Garmin eTrex Vista C, which I like a lot. You can download maps to it, it's small and easy to use. I have heard that with the newer Garmins you can get a subscription for online maps, but I don't know how that works.

A good alternative might be a smartphone app. There are several, I use GaiaGPS which is available for iPhone and Android. It can download maps from several sources for free, and also can pre-download them for use in areas where there's no cell reception. It's not free though! There is a free one called My Tracks on Android that works pretty well but has fewer features than GaiaGPS.