This year, the calendar says that the 4th of July falls on a Thursday, which is one of the worst days for it. In any case, we'll be replacing our typical Thursday game with a cookout starting at 10 AM, at the Higgins entrance somewhere. As usual, bring either something to share or $5. RSVP here - http://www.meetup.com/ultimatefrisbee-166/events/124904122/
Additionally, we've got a Save The Date going on for Vince's 69th Birthday Party. RSVP here (to guarantee your party favors
) - http://www.meetup.com/ultimatefrisbee-166/events/125182312/
- Everything except the date is subject to change (even the location, but it should be reasonably close to locked down), more details will be sent out as we get closer.
Some other miscellaneous things:
- It's actually hot out sometimes, and the Golf entrance has no water pump (to the best of my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong). So bring water or sports drink or whatever fluids you like. Some people think that coconut water helps prevent cramps or something.
- So the main reason we moved to the Golf entrance is to give a rest for the fields that we've played on quite a bit over the past few years. Because they no longer have grass. This has already started to happen at some of the Golf fields, only a few months in. To be fair, there are Rugby dude(ette?)s out there pretty often as well, but we should be rotating a bit more. So expect to play at the fields on the side by the trees, or a bit farther in, or over to the side, etc.
- Bugspray might be a good idea.
- There has been some discussion of doing a bit more of a warm-up / drills before games on Sundays (starting at, say 11 AM). I'm still a bit fuzzy on details (and I've recently been having trouble making it over there by noon already), but anticipate that maybe coming up in the next couple weeks.
- So "professional" disc sports have become a thing. Not everyone knows about it, but there are a couple of leagues this year. The AUDL (http://theaudl.com/
)and MLU, which play a game that's kind of similar to ultimate. Chicago has a team in the AUDL called the Windy City Wildfire. I've been to two games and found them interesting. I don't think I like it as a direction I want the sport to move in, but people should know about it. Their next home game is Saturday 6/29 at 6 PM at Lane Tech Stadium, with special discounted tickets at $2 because some kids have diabetes or something. Hurray diabetes. They have two home games after that, Friday 7/5 at 7 PM and Friday 7/12 at 7 PM. They play at Lane Tech Stadium, which isn't too far, Addison and Western.
See you on the field,