addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Suburban Ultimate Frisbee (Schaumburg) Message Board › Ultimate - Some Notes

Ultimate - Some Notes

Casimir
user 9713734
Schaumburg, IL
Hey Everyone,

Here are a few things to note.

#1) Beach league.
Ultimate Chicago is opening up registration for Beach League Session 2 starting...tomorrow night, I think. It's going to run on Tuesday nights. For more details, visit www.UltimateChicago.org­. I've never played beach ultimate, but I hear it's similar to snow ultimate. And snow ultimate, as many of you know from a few months back, is awesome. Just note that you'll probably only get an hour or so of gametime, and with a 15-person roster, you won't be playing much. I've run into that issue with my summer league team, where the requisite gender ratios are, in my mind, "out of whack." Thus, I'll be spending about half of my summer league games (including today) playing at Busse.

#2) July 4th game.
I'll soon be putting up the Meetup event for a July 4th game / cookout. Similar to Memorial Day, please RSVP and let us know what you plan on bringing. Like last time, a few people just contributed some cash for folks to go out and grab more food / desserts / etc as needed. It'll likely be another 10 AM game, as I know a number of people enjoy celebrating with their families, so this will allow ample time for that. Please, do NOT bring any illegal fireworks, sparklers, or anything else that seems like there's a remote chance of a safety concern. Expect 1 (maybe 2) more email(s) about this in the coming weeks.

#3) Post-Daylight Saving Time games.
I know this is probably the last thing on many people's minds right now, but once the weather turned colder last year, it was pretty much too late to find any place to play, for free, on weekday nights, so we had to completely cut our Tuesday/Thursday games. I figure if I start getting people to think about it now, we might have a chance at year-round outdoor weeknight games, and that would be pretty cool. And it's not just for those super-cold months. I think it would be pretty cool to have a monthly Friday-night game under the lights somewhere, say 10 PM - 1 AM (day and time can be adjusted, of course). Just throwing out ideas.

What you can do to help:
- If you know of a somewhat nearby place where there's room for at least one field and lights, let me know.
- If you can investigate further, that would be awesome too. For example, there are a ton of soccer fields on the west side of 290 a little south of Busse, but those actually cost money to use, so that's kind of like a backup option. If you know of a lit field AND know when the lights go out, that'd be great.
- If you've got a local park district place that might be interested in running an indoor league during the winter, talk to them about it. I think Palatine tried something like this sometime last year, but they went about it all ass-backwards and it didn't work. But we might be able to get one of us to volunteer to help organize it, or something.

#4) Alternate field locations.
As a number of you may have noticed, we usually stick to the same general area for setting up fields, but will occasionally switch things up for various reasons (avoiding holes, avoiding inconveniently-located standing water, better wind breaks, other people were there first, etc). So, if you drive by and don't see us or recognize any cars, take a look back the other way, and check out the area in front (when you enter, there's an option to turn left or go straight...usually, we're straight ahead, but on rare occasions we'll be on the left). Since you're going 15 MPH, it shouldn't be too tough to check for people throwing a disc. If you STILL don't see anyone, double-check what time it is. If you're at all early, you might be the first one there.

#5) "Big games" vs. "7-on-7 with subs."
For those of you unaware, most standard ultimate games are played 7-on-7 (notable exceptions being beach and indoor winter league, which are both played 5-on-5). A standard field is pretty well-suited for this number of players. Fewer works, and 8-on-8 works pretty well too. But once we get to 10-on-9, 12-on-11, etc, things get cramped and crowded. So we can either split into two games, keep one game of 7-on-7 (or 8-on-8, or 6-on-6) and have subs, or make the field bigger. I think a few of us have listed the pros and cons of each before, so I won't do it again. What I will do is list WHY we'll probably do each depending on the sitaution. Note that I've put a significant amount of thought into this issue, have polled the group online, and have asked a number of regular players in-person as to their opinions. For those with a preference, it's really about half that prefer 7-on-7 with subs. My personal preference changes depending on a number of factors, but I'm almost always happy to just be playing ultimate, so I don't put much weight on my opinion for this matter. Here's what I've come up with.

Why we might split into two games:
- If it's early in the gameday and we expect more people to show up.
- If another field is already set up.
- If we have 12-on-12 or more.
- If the vast majority of the vocal players on the field are clamoring to split into two games.

Why we might go 7-on-7 with subs:
- If it's pretty darn hot out and/or no one wants to run, so two smaller games would kinda suck.
- If we haven't called "game on" yet and have like 15-18 people.
- If the vast majority of the vocal players on the field are clamoring to play with subs.

Why we might expand the field:
- If we've recently combined games from, say, 6-on-6 to 10-on-9.
- If we're playing on a field that, for whatever reason, the dimensions seem off for the number of players that we have.
- If the vast majority of the vocal players on the field are clamoring to play "one big game."

A few things to note here. A) These aren't necessarily mutually exclusive situations. B) The words "why we MIGHT" and "VAST majority of the VOCAL players" were very consciously chosen. C) The same general logic extends to deciding whether or not to play 3 games, but 3 games is significantly tougher to manage because of players leaving, space / set-up for the third field, etc.

As I hope I've illustrated, the decision is a balancing act. We're not going to be able to please everyone all the time. But I hope that knowing the final decision was made with consideration of most of the above factors will quell most of the dissatisfaction associated with what will occasionally be an "executive decision" made by me. And if you think there's a better way of handling it, I'm all ears.

#6) Wednesdays.
I think there are Wednesday games at Wheaton college, but I'm not entirely sure. I believe Jeff Gierman is somewhat involved in organizing that stuff, so he'd be the main contact if you want more details.

#7) Socialization.
Something I've found true over the years is that ultimate players, in general, are pretty cool people. This is why I hang out with a ton of you guys outside of ultimate. Examples of non-ultimate activities with ultimate folks have included: Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Denny's, Fox & Hound, Stonewood Ale House, movies, game nights, XBox Live gaming, Whirleyball, Karaoke, swimming, boating, basketball / volleyball / football (pickup), football (watching), bowling, driving ranges, etc. Many of these events (mostly the food and beverage related ones) happen right after a game, so if you stick around and want to hang out, feel free to suggest something and try to recruit. If you suggest something enough times, it just might happen.

#8) Hydration, sunscreen (which I neglected Sunday, much to my dismay), and bug spray.

I think that's about it for now.

See you on the field,
Caz