Announcing a new Meetup for Ultra Light Startups!
What: Ultra Light Startups: Legal Roundtable
When: October 20,[masked]:30 PM
NYU Polytechnic Incubator
160 Varick St 12th Floor
New York, NY 10013
The Ultra Light Startups Legal Roundtable is an informal forum in which technology entrepreneurs ask questions on legal topics and have them answered by attorneys from "ultra-light friendly" law firms
specializing in fields of interest to tech startups. Attendees will benefit from having their own questions answered and also by listening to the answers provided to others. This month will feature discussion on Corporate Formation, Finance, Intellectual Property, and Immigration and International Topics
Unlike other Ultra Light Startups events there are no "introductions by elevator pitch"
at the Legal Roundtable and anyone can attend. We hope this format will be a great value for entrepreneurs seeking to understand the legal landscape for startups without engaging in costly private consultation. Please come prepared with a list of questions.
The cost of this Meetup is $10 with online registration ($20 at the door). Online payment is done through Eventbrite
(not Meetup) for a variety of reasons. Please be sure to purchase your ticket online via Eventbrite to secure your $10 seat. For more information see the complete description of this event on the Ultra Light Startups website
- Corporate Forms
- Forms (Sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, S-Corp, C-Corp)
- Differences (Eligibility, tax treatment, filing costs/requirements)
- Locations (Delaware, New York, Nevada, offshore)
- Why, when, and how to incorporate
- Other critical related documents (Invention assignment agreement, "work for hire" consulting agreement)
- Ownership with non-U.S. citizens/residents
- Finance Topics
- Stock vs. options vs. warrants
- Preferred vs. common stock
- Valuation formulas and guidelines
- Vesting (Common vesting schedules and provisions)
- Termsheets (Common provisions, what to look for)
- Legal problems than can derail a financing or acquisition
- Intellectual Property
- Trademark (Registered vs non-registered)
- Copyright (Copyright.gov)
- Patent (Patent types, eligibility, USPTO.gov)
- State/federal/international differences
- Why, when, and how to apply/file/register
- Application costs, requirements, and timeframes
- Immigration and International Topics
- Forming companies with foreign founders (residing inside or outside of the U.S.)
- What work can non-citizens do for a U.S. based company?
- What restrictions are there on their work or compensation (equity, salary, contractor payments)?
- What options are available to naturalize non-citizens? Timeframes and costs of the various naturalization options.
Panelists (alphabetic order):
- Stephen Chin
- von Simson & Chin
- Intellectual Property
- Jon Freedman
- Freedman Legal Group LLC
- Corporate and Finance Topics
- Andrew Lerner
- Wormser, Kiely, Galef & Jacobs LLP
Learn more here:http://www.meetup.com/ultralightstartups/calendar/11608855/