Ultra Light Startups Message Board › Ultra Light Startups: Legal Roundtable May 19
San Francisco, CA
We have been experiencing very strong demand for tonight's Ultra Light Startups Legal Roundtable. Tickets to this event have been sold out for nearly two weeks and unfortunately the number of seats cannot be expanded due to limitations in the size of the facility. As a result we have agreed with our hosts to repeat this session (same topics, same content, same speakers) in one month - on Tuesday May 19.
As mentioned on the Meetup website, we do not use Meetup's payment system for our events, we use a system called Eventbrite instead. We have tried to make clear in all postings and emails that RSVP'ing on Meetup.com does not hold a seat for you, you must purchase the ticket on Eventbrite to be admitted. We know this situation inevitably causes confusion, but limitations in the Meetup payment platform mandate this situation and we are doing our best to make this clear in our communications.
If you would like to register for the May 19 Legal Roundtable, please visit:
Feel free to contact me (just reply to this email) if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.
Announcing a new Meetup for Ultra Light Startups!
What: Ultra Light Startups: Legal Roundtable
When: May 19, 2009 6:30 PM
Where: Click the link below to find out!
Meetup Description: The Ultra Light Startups Legal Roundtable is an informal forum in which technology entrepreneurs ask questions on legal topics and have them answered by attorneys from top law firms specializing in fields of interest to tech startups. Attendees will benefit from having their own questions answered and also by listening to the answers provided to others.
Unlike other Ultra Light Startups events there will be no "introductions by elevator pitch" at the Legal Roundtable and anyone can attend. We hope this format will be a great value for entrepreneurs seeking to understand the legal landscape for startups without engaging in costly private consultation. Please come prepared with a list of questions.
The cost of this Meetup is $10. Online payment is done through Eventbrite (not Meetup) for a variety of reasons. Please be sure to purchase your ticket online via Eventbrite or your name will not be on the list at the reception desk and you will not be allowed upstairs. For more information see the complete description of this event on the Ultra Light Startups website.
Forming a company
- LLC or Delaware C-Corp.? Any difference if not U.S. citizen?
- Separate holding co. outside of the U.S. for I.P. and other digital assets? Parent or subsidiary?
- Can people outside U.S. own U.S. assets/stock in U.S. companies? If so, what limitations or challenges?
- Founder's stock -- restricted stock or options? Vesting or not?
- What else? Consulting versus employment.
- Friends and family (includes credit cards) / angels -- common or preferred stock? Valuations?
- What are the pros/cons of a VC-style preferred stock round?
- What's the difference between/among copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets?
- Can I copy someone's web site? Can I copy an article posted on their web site? Can I link to their web site?
- Any issues with third parties advertising on my site?
- Any issues with user-generated content (such as a blog) on my site?
Panelists (alphabetic order):
Joe Daniels, Sr. Counsel, Fulbright & Jaworski LLP
Jennifer Morgan, Sr. Associate, Fulbright & Jaworski LLP
Sue Ross, Sr. Counsel, Fulbright & Jaworski LLP
Learn more here: