This is our first MeetUp event under our new name. This event is special also because we are helping out and doing good for this retirement facility to liven up their garden area, provide them with good rich homegrown food and hopefully add a spark to their day. It is also an opportunity for us to rejoin with our urban farming friends and meet our new members. Come join us for a great day together to socialize, learn and do good. All are welcome.
The Urban Farmers coop events are working/learning sessions where we all pitch into a project at the hosts location. In this event we will be going to a retirement facility to get their planter boxes fixed up and ready to grow some delicious things. We will put in a drip system by enhancing their existing water lines, condition the soil and then finally plant lettuce and other greens to create a beautiful shade garden that can be enjoyed and eaten by all of the residents at the facility.
Here is what we do:
- We meet to help out a fellow host farmer
- We do some work, exchange ideas and learn something at the same time.
- We bring food from our gardens so we can share with each other the wonderful foods we are raising.
- After the meeting we all take home something that we did not bring.
If possible please bring any of these items:
- Bag for collecting harvested food
- Gardening tools- Shovel, trowel, gloves etc..
- Some food items from your yard to exchange with other member (if you have any)
- Potluck item that either contains something that you have picked from your yard/urban farm-- OR -- something that you would like in the future to come from your yard/urban farm."
- If you do not have any of the above then it is OK-- just bring yourself and some good positive energy.
1) A bit of work
As people arrive we will all participate in getting some old planter boxes looking good. We will dig out the old soil, add some rich compost that has been donated by one of our members, put in a drip system and replant some delicious edibles.
2) Demo and instruction
During the work portion we will have a short break out period to present some material and gain some farming/gardening knowledge. We will be talking about drip irrigation and good compost.
3) Pot Luck and Socializing
Finally we will all spend some time to socialize and eat the wonderful food from our gardens.
During the pot luck we will have time to discuss the following:
- Q & A about gardening/ farming. Anyone can ask anything about a gardening or farming topic for others in the group to give their insights.
- News and updates from our members: each member share progress on urban farming projects.
- Ongoing discussion on our Urban Farmers coop group.
- Crop Sharing-- Everyone that has harvested something from your yard please bring it and exchange it. Take what you DID NOT bring.