I learned how to can produce when I was growing up. I will take you through the steps to do both pressure cooker canning and hot bath canning. We will be working with tomatoes as our basic ingredient. We will make tomato sauce and will be canning whole tomatoes. If we have onions, herbs, zucchini and green peppers, we can also make spaghetti sauce to can. These methods will apply to any recipe that you want to preserve in a jar. In order to cover the cost of the jars and lids, a small fee will be charged per jar that you take home.
The Urban Farmers Coop events are working/learning sessions where we all pitch into a project at the hosts location.
Here is what we do:
- We meet to help out a fellow host farmer
- We do some work, exchange ideas and learn something at the same time.
- We bring food from our gardens so we can share with each other the wonderful foods we are raising.
- After the meeting we all take home something that we did not bring.
If possible please bring any of these items:
- Bag for collecting harvested food
- Gardening tools- Shovel, trowel, gloves etc..
- Some food items from your yard to exchange with other member (if you have any)
- Potluck item that either contains something that you have picked from your yard/urban farm-- OR -- something that you would like in the future to come from your yard/urban farm."
- If you do not have any of the above then it is OK-- just bring yourself and some good positive energy.
1) A bit of work
As people arrive we will all participate in a group working activity in the hosts location.
2) Demo and instruction
During the work portion we will have a short break out period to present some new material and gain some farming/gardening knowledge.
3) Pot Luck and Socializing
Finally we will all spend some time to socialize and eat the wonderful food from our gardens.
During the pot luck we will have time to discuss the following:
- Q & A about gardening/ farming. Anyone can ask anything about a gardening or farming topic for others in the group to give their insights.
- News and updates from our members: each member share progress on urban farming projects.
- Ongoing discussion on our Urban Farmers coop group.
- Crop Sharing-- Everyone that has harvested something from your yard please bring it and exchange it. Take what you DID NOT bring.