The new rain has loosened the soil and it is a perfect time to plant. So let's join together again as Urban Farmers to help start some new life into Judy's garden. This Meetup is strategically planned just after the Master Gardener Show in San Jose. We will be helping Judy to plan out her garden prior to our MeetUp then purchase plants at the garden show in the morning. For our afternoon MeetUp we will join together and have fun planting a lush tapestry of new plants. We will look at each area of Judy's garden and consider companion plants, CA Natives, pollinators and other beneficial plants
Here is a look at Judy's garden and what we will do to transform her spaces:
Area one: Last year Judy tilled the soil and added some good compost and mulch so the soil seems to be in good shape here.
For this area we will focus on planting and then modify the existing drip irrigation system. The 3 sisters (corn,squash and beans) will go in the back part. Then a row of tomatoes, next come some pollinator plants and herbs and finally finishing with a row of potatoes. This is a South Facing yard and last year was quite prosperous. The overall goal is to change this into a year-round garden.
Area Two: These planter boxes need some attention, so we will add some compost and consider the best plants for this area. We will also add drip lines to the boxes.
For this area we will be planting peppers, Eggplant, Basil in the top box. For the lower 2 we will keep the existing arugula and sow some beets and carrots along with some other herbs.
Area Three: This section has not been tilled in the past so this soil needs a little love. Our plan is to use the "double dig" method to get nutrients down into the soil and open up the hard clay base so that new life can grow.
The Urban Farmers Coop events are working/learning sessions where we all pitch into a project at the hosts location.
Here is what we do:
- We meet to help out a fellow host farmer
- We do some work, exchange ideas and learn something at the same time.
- We bring food from our gardens so we can share with each other the wonderful foods we are raising.
- After the meeting we all take home something that we did not bring.
If possible please bring any of these items:
- Bag for collecting harvested food
- Gardening tools- Shovel, trowel, gloves etc..
- Some food items from your yard to exchange with other member (if you have any)
- Potluck item that either contains something that you have picked from your yard/urban farm-- OR -- something that you would like in the future to come from your yard/urban farm."
- If you do not have any of the above then it is OK-- just bring yourself and some good positive energy.
1) A bit of work
As people arrive we will all participate in a group working activity in the hosts location.
2) Demo and instruction
During the work portion we will have a short break out period to present some new material and gain some farming/gardening knowledge.
3) Pot Luck and Socializing
Finally we will all spend some time to socialize and eat the wonderful food from our gardens.
During the pot luck we will have time to discuss the following:
- Q & A about gardening/ farming. Anyone can ask anything about a gardening or farming topic for others in the group to give their insights.
- News and updates from our members: each member share progress on urban farming projects.
- Ongoing discussion on our Urban Farmers coop group.
- Crop Sharing-- Everyone that has harvested something from your yard please bring it and exchange it. Take what you DID NOT bring.
By RSVPing YES to any of our MeetUps you are agreeing to our posted waiver:
Our goal is to bring our community together through safe and fun learning events.
We look forward to seeing you at our upcoming MeetUps.