Jun 21, 2014 · 11:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
Celebrate the Summer Solstice with a pesto cooking demonstration by Chef Joni, a potluck lunch, and hoop-bending demonstration for making greenhouse tunnels by Steve. The event will be held in Steve and Joni’s urban garden in Cupertino.
BYOWC (bring your own worm container) so you can take home some of Steve's famous red earthworms.
About our hosts:
Chef Joni Sare is a trained therapeutic chef and nutritional educator who believes in igniting love and passion in the foods we eat. She has been cooking professionally for 6 years. Her overall goal is to help people create a healthy future for themselves, their families, and communities by choosing and preparing the right foods to eat. Joni says “Like so many other nutritionists, I started my professional journey by healing myself.” To read more about Joni visit http://www.jonisare.com/.
Steve is an urban gardener who finds respite from computer work by being in the garden. He considers himself a “practical handyman for building pretty much anything.” He has built two greenhouses (one from scratch), one 8,000 gallon water tank (concrete, on the top of a mountain), one three-compartment compost bin, and two water features. To learn more about Steve and Joni and their joint project for living a healthier lifestyle, visit http://www.projectwellbeing.com/.
- Cooking demonstration: Got lettuce? Presto pesto! As people arrive, we will all gather around Chef Joni as she creates pesto from lettuce and imparts her knowledge of therapeutic cooking and and healing through food selection.
- Potluck and socializing: We will share in the delicious pesto created by Chef Joni and in the various other dishes prepared by us.
- Greenhouse hoop demonstration: Finally Steve will show us how to bend EMT tubing into hoops for greenhouse tunnels.
- Earthworm giveaway: BYOWC (bring your own worm container) and take home some healthy red earthworms for your compost bins and piles.
What to bring
For this event, please bring any of the following:
- Potluck item to go with the pesto. Folks can bring a pesto or chips, crackers, and/or bread to go with the pesto dips, or other dips like hummus and salsa. Salads are welcome too! If you can, bring something that you have picked from your yard or something that you would like in the future to come from your yard.
- Food items you have harvested from your yard to exchange with other members (if you have any)
- Your own dishes (plates, cups, silverware) from which to eat your food. The coordinators will also bring some paper plates.
- Some good positive energy
About Urban Farmers Cooperative
The Urban Farmers Cooperative events are working/learning sessions where we all pitch in on a project at the host's location. Here is what we do:
- We meet to help out a fellow host farmer
- We do some work, exchange ideas, and learn something at the same time
- We bring food from our gardens and share all the wonderful foods we are raising
- After the meeting we all take home something that we did not bring
By RSVPing YES to any of our MeetUps you are agreeing to our posted waiver:
Our goal is to bring our community together through safe and fun learning events.
We look forward to seeing you at our upcoming MeetUps.