addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

UX Champaign-Urbana (CU) Message Board › What books would you like the group to read?

What books would you like the group to read?

Closed to new replies

Melinda M.
melmillerCU
Group Organizer
Champaign, IL
Post #: 2
Your organizers have gone ahead and autocratically picked the first two books just to get the group rolling (and, in the case of the second book, to give everyone more time to read it!). But we definitely want this to be a more open process in the future. Please start nominating books for the November, December and January meetings and write a little bit about why you want to read (or re-read) them. If we get enough nominations, we can put a few titles up for a vote with a poll.
Sunah Marie S.
user 25335052
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Hey everyone, sorry I missed the first meeting -- I had a deadline to attend to, unfortunately. I have a book suggestion, based on the buzz this has received: Design for Hackers: Reverse-Engineering Beauty (amazon). I know it's not solidly in the vein of UX but it's an accessible book for those of us who aren't necessarily visual designers but want at least a rudimentary foundation. I've found myself several times in the position of having my wireframe, boilerplate mockups end up largely untouched in final products because of poorly thought out processes and budget cuts, despite the fact that I don't consider myself a graphic designer. I figure if it happens that often, I might as well try to gain some skills to make these things look a little better ;)

I'm planning on getting the book regardless of whether it ends up as a selection but I figured it might be of interest to at least some of the people in this group! Here's the author's blog post announcing the book's availability that gives a much better summary: http://www.kadavy.net...­ The rest of the blog is worth checking out to get a sense of the book's content.
A former member
Good Morning!

Design for Hackers: Reverse-Engineering Beauty (amazon) looks like a book that I would like to read for this group as is Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites (if it has not already been read by too many of the group member - or even if it has :-)
Melinda M.
melmillerCU
Group Organizer
Champaign, IL
Post #: 3
I have a book suggestion, based on the buzz this has received: Design for Hackers: Reverse-Engineering Beauty (amazon). I know it's not solidly in the vein of UX but it's an accessible book for those of us who aren't necessarily visual designers but want at least a rudimentary foundation.
Hi, Sunah, this book list interesting, and, with the big range of design experience among our members, we could have a great discussion. Thanks for suggesting it and we look forward to meeting you soon.
Melinda M.
melmillerCU
Group Organizer
Champaign, IL
Post #: 4
"Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites" by Rosenfeld and Morville would be a great read for the group at some point, but it's so long that we might need to plan ahead for it or skip a month.
In the mean time, we could also put on the list "Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web‎" by Christina Wodtke (which I have read and addresses similar topics to Rosenfeld and Morville) and Donna Spencer's
"A Practical Guide to Information Architecture" (which I haven't read but would like to).
Daniel N.
user 15809521
Washington, DC
"Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites" by Rosenfeld and Morville would be a great read for the group at some point, but it's so long that we might need to plan ahead for it or skip a month.

We could also break it down into two subsequent meetings (i.e. Chapters 1-8 in November, Chapters 9-16 in December) . UX Book Club Chicago does this, and it seems to work pretty well for them.

Both Don't Make Me Think! and Rocket Surgery Made Easy by Steve Krug would be great choices and could stimulate good discussion, as well.
Jeremy F.
Accuraty
Champaign, IL
Post #: 3
Suggestion for future book...
100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) [Paperback]
Susan Weinschenk (Author)
http://www.amazon.com...­
A former member
Anyone else have an interest in reading a book on Content Strategy? I have two: Erin Kissane's "The Elements of Content Strategy" and Kristina Halvorson's "Content Strategy for the Web".
Daniel N.
user 15809521
Washington, DC
Post #: 5
I would really like to read & discuss Universal Principles of Design. One of my colleagues read it and gave a short presentation about the book, and it seems like a GREAT book.
A former member

Hi,
I'd like to recommend this book, Seductive interaction Design. http://www.amazon.com...­

I think it's a great explanation of real examples of successful UX design and the psychology behind them. What I've read so far is applicable to many different industries and job roles (without feeling too simple) and probably has wide appeal to group members.

keep up the good work, I like what has been read in the past.

I second the "100 Things Every Designer"should know too, but after mine is chosen, of course. :)